Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I looked it up in Clymer manual and it's not there. I'm looking for the maximum resistance number for the spark plug cables. I'm getting some carbon foul on the spark plugs that I wasn't getting before. My bike is only 22k miles and I already did a compression test and replaced the spark plugs.

I want to test the spark plug cable resistance before before I replace them. Being the bike 16 years old, I suspect it might have build up some resistance.

Does anyone know the spark plug cable resistance in omhs for the VTX 1800?

·
Registered
11,938 Posts
Unscrew the wire from the IGN coil and look at it...
My 1300 has stranded wire and one spark plug cap has a 500 ohm resistor.
All stranded would be very low resistance, one or two ohms, a wire with the
resistor in cap should be about 500 ohms.

For some strange reason some peeps were clipping the end of their plug
wires a few years ago. An 1/8" or so. If the wire had corroded I could understand it.
Clipping off good copper wire is a waste. remove and inspect..

From spark plug cap > coil > spark plug cap should be 32k - 36k ohms.
One HV coil, with a spark plug on each end.

04 1800C is Gen1 has the Fuel Pressure Regulator which has been failing for years.
Do you have black smoke, gas in the oil, check vacuum hose for gas.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Hans&Feet,
Thanks for the extremely useful information once again. I replaced the FPR vacuum hose recently because it was brittle and I didn't notice any gas. I did the FPR test a while back and it didn't spit gas. I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago and I don't remember smelling gas. However, I'm wondering if I should replace the FPR proactively, as it's a 16 year old bike and it's a matter of very little time before it goes bad.

About the wires, I'll measure to see if resistance has increased. Because I live in FL and humidity is crazy here, I fear that it might have some internal corrosion that might increase the resistance.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I don't know. Hope you find your complaint. In my 50 years of working on engines the times I found the spark plug wires to be at fault are almost none. Exception was single cylinder Wisconsin's driving roof top box truck reefers. For some reason guys (mechs) would clip end of wire. Would work great for awhile but, Wisconsin had applied a bonded section to the wire where it screwed onto the spark plug boot. Once that was gone it was this feathery weird multi strain stuff and the vibration of the truck and unit would turn it to powder. Needless say I carried OEM wires on the truck. Shit looked like pencil lead made into an insulated wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts