Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to give the plugs a clean and wouldn't you just know it! The first 3 came out and went back in no problem, nice and straight, finger tight all the way untill you need to crank that last turn to lock them in.. And then came number 4. Came out no problem , but upon trying to line it up to get it back in I could see some chewed threads. No matter how many times I've tried, it only goes in about 5 turns then seizes up... I don't want to force it in because that would mean a new cylinder head the next time I need to change a plug... Any ideas on how to resolve?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are the threads chewed up on the Plug? if so replace it. If in the head ,
auto parts stores have spark plug hole chasers of various sizes for the purpose of cleaning up the cylinder head holes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The threads in the head are chewed up so I'll visit my auto-parts store tomorrow. What about scrap pieces of metal falling into the cylinder?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
when you retap the hole you put heavy grease (such as wheel bearing type) on the tap, run it in some then pull and clean then put more on it.
The grease will hold most all the chips on the tap.

Just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Charlie D, good advice. I went hunting for a plug chaser at 4 different auto parts stores, not one in stock anywhere!!!! Nobody had a plug either, but I expected that. The bike stores are all closed on a Sunday. I'll keep looking...

Thanks again folks, info really appreciated.

If I had to ride the bike to my closest dealer ( about 2 miles ) and I snug up the screwed up plug hole with the plug, should I make it O.K. The bike does start, but you can hear the gases escaping past the threads a little....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bad idea running the engine with the plug only screwed in a few threads, the engine compression could blow that plug out and relly mess up the cylinder head threads.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: plug threads

lham said:
http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/spark-plug-sockets/detail/KDT3689/

ck this out
+1
This type of chaser is expandable, so you collapse it and insert it into the head and expand it and seat the threads. You then chase the threads from the inside out and the shavings come out of the head instead of going in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info and the links, that looks just like the tool I need. I spoke with my local dealer, and they will pick up the bike, re-thread the head for about $80. And that's Canadian dollars...lol...I might as well let the Pro's do it, get all 4 plugs changed and an oil change to boot...

cheers

Derek

1 - 10 of 10 Posts