Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,574 Posts
Ahhh, rust in the cylinders....I know what causes that because I did it to my own Shadow years ago
It is amazing how people will not believe your story. My brother-in-law has a Kawasaki ZX10 he's been asking way too much money for, likely because he doesn't really want to sell it. Religously starts it every couple of months. You know, to keep the oil circulated. I keep telling him that if he's going to park it, fog the cylinders and leave it parked. Don't touch it until you actually want to ride. You see, I know a guy that ... . All on deaf ears LOL. Time will tell, but I wouldn't buy it now, knowing what I know.

·
Super Moderator
64,789 Posts
That's exactly it, I would start my Shadow up at least twice a month to circulate and charge the battery etc....all the old bikers tales. Ended up with rusted engine, rust in the fuel tank, exhaust and inside parts where condensation would build up from the cold outside temps meeting the warm engine. And I think think the OP is in Michigan so it could be the issue. Your bike will NOT get hot enough to burn off that condensation at idle ;)

·
Super Moderator
64,789 Posts
What was it? This bike drove from the trailer to my door, then into the shop. And still had rust . I pulled the cylinder and honed, im putting a new set of rings in it because im there already.
I started my bike up over the Chicago winters at least twice a month sometimes more. After so many years doing this the bike became under powered, gass guzzling and more so I took it to Honda. Honda dealer called Mother Honda in Ohio and sent a Service Rep to inspect. He then talked with me and asked me 1 question... What do you do for the bike over the winter? So I told him adding fuel stabilizers and running it every week to keep the oil on the walls. That's when he told me that the warming and cooling cycles put into an engine will create condensation inside the engine and tank and exhaust and frame as the engine at idle does NOT get hot enough to burn off that condensation so it sits. Ask that owner, I'll bet he did the same thing. Winter prep from that Shadow repair on....Add stabilizer, fill the tank up, ride home change the oil and wash and wax then plug it into a tender cover it and leave it alone until spring.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
231 Posts
You boys in the north, especially the frozen north, need to follow this advice unless like me you plan to ride the thing through the winter. I’ve been doing that (winter riding) for the last several years, with two motorcycles, and I haven’t even had a battery go dead. The key is you have to really ride it so the motor gets to full operating temperature because, as explained here, ten minutes down the road back does more harm than good. I realize that if you live on the upper peninsula of Michigan you’re not gonna be able ride much in January but I live in western Washington where it’s mostly raindrops we’re dodging

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
Whatever happened to fogging oil or a few drops of engine oil??
Pull right side plugs, put a few drops of oil into the cylinder.
Turn over manually or crank engine, no ignition.
Put the SP back in.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts