Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for me to replace my plugs and I am currently running NGK IFR6L11.
Is there a big difference in the HOT plugs vs standard temp plugs? What about performance, is one better than the other?
Should I go with a different brand?
Any suggestions????

·
Registered
112 Posts
I prefer to stick with the NGK Iridium's. They will last 100,000 miles if cleaned periodically. The Iridium is some really tough material. Not to mention that NGK has a good reputation for reliability.

Many folks have switched to the Bosch 4419's and Bosch made a new one called the Platinum IR Fusion. I haven't heard any comments (good or bad) about the new plug, but if it's from Bosch I am sure it is good quality.

As for a hotter plug, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are experiencing a lot of fouling.

·
Registered
458 Posts
JASN69 said:
Its time for me to replace my plugs and I am currently running NGK IFR6L11.Is there a big difference in the HOT plugs vs standard temp plugs? What about performance, is one better than the other?
Should I go with a different brand?
Any suggestions????
I made the switch to the hotter plug and my VTX has run much better. To my knowledge, the only X's that came with the 6L11's were the 02's which had fouling issues. Hondas's fix was to but the hotter plugs in every year since.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
Yes, go with the 5L11's. All plugs were tested on the VTX and the results were the stock plugs did the best

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plugs

If this chart I have is correct the 6L11 are OEM and the 5L11 are the hot ones.....Is that right? So I should run the hotter plugs?

By the way I have an 03 1800R

·
Registered
112 Posts
In 2002 Honda put the 6L11 in as factory equipment. Most folks found that there was too much fouling using that plug. In 2003, Honda upped the heat range to the 5L11 plug and that is the recommended plug for our VTX.

So the answer is yes - use the 5L11.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am running the Denso IK16 plug. it is the equvilent plug to the IFR5L11 and it is Iriduim. I have noticed they foul less than the NGKs. I tried the Bosch Fusion 4512 plug and I didn't really like them that much, they weren't bad, but I found the Denso had better response.

·
Premium Member
8,957 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the IFR5T 11 plug is ok to run in my 2003 vtx1800
Yes it is. The 5T has a platinum disc embedded in the ground electrode where the 5L does not. In the case of the VTX, it won't buy you much, but if they are the same price, the 5T is technically the better plug. Both are exactly what your bike likes best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts