Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with the laws here? For instance, if you get caught going a certain amount over the speed limit (double the posted speed limit, for instance), are you automatically locked up? Or, is your vehicle impounded? Is there a magic number, or is it up to the cop's descretion? Anyone know how this stuff works here?

·
Registered
678 Posts
2x the speed limit or anything over 100MPH will get you in pretty deep crap here and most anywhere - however like all things police oriented - it is typically up to the cop.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Better sell that Busa before we all have to visit you in the pokey or take up a VTXOA fund to bail you out :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
It is nice to see that you are being responsible Chip by finding out the laws before taking that Hayabusa out and opening it up!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NEBTIGER said:
2x the speed limit or anything over 100MPH will get you in pretty deep crap here and most anywhere - however like all things police oriented - it is typically up to the cop.
Ouch! So, I take it going 150 in a 65 might get me in a bit of trouble, huh? :shock: :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
discretion

I was clocked at 105mph on I-680 between Pacific and Dodge St.
well, I was in a hurry!
Unfortunately, my driver's license was expired, also.
The police officer wrote me up a citation for driving without a license.
No speeding ticket, however.

It is, indeed, up to the discretion of the police officer.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: discretion

fjvanwet said:
I was clocked at 105mph on I-680 between Pacific and Dodge St.
well, I was in a hurry!
Unfortunately, my driver's license was expired, also.
The police officer wrote me up a citation for driving without a license.
No speeding ticket, however.

It is, indeed, up to the discretion of the police officer.
Wow, you got lucky there. Was it on your VTX?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: discretion

Omahabikerguy said:
Wow, you got lucky there. Was it on your VTX?
yes... I had ridden to Denison, IA, in the morning, and was hurrying back to my house, trying to make it to a Husker football game kickoff at 1:00pm.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discretion

I think it has a lot to do with discretion. Obviously, if one was running radar or lidar (laser), a speeding ticket would minimally suffice.
Willful Reckless would probably be a more specific offense, or added to the original charge of speeding, again if an electronic signaling device was used.
As far as I know (in Lincoln) we are not allowed to lodge somebody in jail for just this one (or two) offense(s). An arrest would have to include "flight to avoid..." or resisting... etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts