Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike out for a spin this weekend, (04 1300C) and even though my speedo indicated 75mph, I kept being passed up by just about everone. Has anyone else noticed anything with their speedo?

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is one of my pet peeves. A great bike with a defective speedo. I've writen 2 letters to Honda and they pretty much blew me off both times. Mine reads 9.5% too high and Honda says it's only defective if over 10% or it reads under. I'm going to the Honda Homecoming this year and maybe I can corner an engineer or QC tech and have a conversation.
Some of us have gone to the NTSB and written it up as a safety issue, but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

See if you can get a GPS and find out how far you are off and them make the calculations in your head.

You can get devices for less than $100 to correct the problem.

John Law usually does not take bad speedos as an excuse for speeding.

Good luck!!

PS If Honda fixes yours, let us know so we can all get it fixed.

?

·
0 Posts
FYI, It's not just a Honda thing :wink:

It's an industry standard among most major manufacturers (Cars Trucks Bikes etc.) to have the speedometer AND Odometer register slightly faster/ more miles from 5% - 10%. Almost never reads slower/fewer miles for legal reasons. I had an insider at Diamler Chrysler tell me it was 10% faster so the warranty would run out sooner. :wink:

I've checked many vehicles with my GPS and found the same error. My Jeep had 30" tires and was off right from the factory, then I swapped on 33's, then 35's then some 37" Tall TSL Super Swampers..each time the speedo had to be corrected to indicate the proper milage/speed. My new Ram Hemi with 20" wheels reads Exactly 10% off too.

There are many people that have double checked their bikes speedo/odo to their wives car, or buddies truck and found that its right on....without realizing they are checking it to a vehicle that isnt acurate either :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts