Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 05 1300c with a loud vibration noise from speedo housing, has anyone had the same problem?? any suggestions ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Remove the lower three speedo housing allen crews (If I remember correctly 8mm) and put rubber washers between the housing and tank mounts. Problem solved.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The dealer here said he never heard of the problem, but I mentioned the O ring fix. When I got the bike back it still rattled, even though they put 2 O rings on the side by side mounts near the seat. I ended up taking the housing off and putting thick ruber tape on all the mounts. Problem solved. Hopefully forever. Keep on riding!!

Use the "search" function and enter speedometer rattle and narrow the search to the 1300 forum and vtxoa. You'll get plenty of solutions.

Ride safe!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
rattle

Had the same problem, tried the oring, didnt work, tried lots of stuff, finally got the thinest flat faucet washer and put under the back two on the underside and tadaaa nice and quiet.

·
Registered
491 Posts
had the same problem, I just used a hammer and gave it a few good wacks and then used fingernail polish to touch up the dings from the hammer.. did the same on the headlight.. man that bitch would rattle me insane. Except Sally beauty supply was out of the chrome color nail polish so I just beat it completly off of the bike and installed an old fog light from my old dodge dart I had laying around in the garage. It wistles really loud while I drive down the road because of the cracked lense I guess but I figured HEY, at least it will scare the deer away! That's all I need is to hit another one of those suckers. I still haven't got the forks straightened from the last time I hit one of those. You'd think they would run away from all of the noise and flames that shoot from my broken headerpipe but NO they just stand there in the middle of the road just like those 2 stupid dogs did 2 weeks before.. WELL enough about me.. Yeah you can do it the easyway like me or go ahead and do the rubber washer thingy like EVERYONE else.. when it first started to rattle I jammed a few matchbooks up under the speedo but with all of the rain here they just withered away and the rattle came back.. (man I HATE rattles) either way, Best of luck
P.S. At least I don't have the rattles like before.. Whew! sure glad of that!
Best regards to all, Bully

·
Registered
246 Posts
rattles

my '04 speedo would rattle or buzz, usually when under 1/2 tank of gas. after around 8 or 9k miles it has gone away. the top end noise is gone too! these bikes break in real nice albeit slowly. black is best!

·
Registered
611 Posts
MLBU154,

Take off the speedo..use (7) little o-rings from home depot, about 10 cents each...put between speedo cover and tank (front 3 go between cover and bracket) and NO MORE NOISE!!! Works perfectly. I hate rattles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
O-ring may not fix your problem.

I had the same problem, the o-rings did nothing to help... My problem was that the speedo housing was loose from the console. Remove the console from the tank, flip it over, give all the screws a nice tightening... That'll fix it... Fixed mine, anyway, 4K miles later, still no rattle/buzz...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bully said:
had the same problem, I just used a hammer and gave it a few good wacks and then used fingernail polish to touch up the dings from the hammer.. did the same on the headlight.. man that bitch would rattle me insane. Except Sally beauty supply was out of the chrome color nail polish so I just beat it completly off of the bike and installed an old fog light from my old dodge dart I had laying around in the garage. It wistles really loud while I drive down the road because of the cracked lense I guess but I figured HEY, at least it will scare the deer away! That's all I need is to hit another one of those suckers. I still haven't got the forks straightened from the last time I hit one of those. You'd think they would run away from all of the noise and flames that shoot from my broken headerpipe but NO they just stand there in the middle of the road just like those 2 stupid dogs did 2 weeks before.. WELL enough about me.. Yeah you can do it the easyway like me or go ahead and do the rubber washer thingy like EVERYONE else.. when it first started to rattle I jammed a few matchbooks up under the speedo but with all of the rain here they just withered away and the rattle came back.. (man I HATE rattles) either way, Best of luck
P.S. At least I don't have the rattles like before.. Whew! sure glad of that!
Best regards to all, Bully
Do you have a parts # for the chrome nail polish, and what size hammer did you use? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bully,

Thanks for that

It is the funniest thing I have read in a while.

Later

·
Registered
491 Posts
roo747 said:
Bully,

Thanks for that

It is the funniest thing I have read in a while.

Later
Glad you enjoyed! take care "Roo"

·
Registered
465 Posts
I didn't have this problem until I had it painted. It now rattles. I'll be getting some O rings real soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm....maybe this is beating a dead horse here, or this was covered already, but I just missed it...

My speedo rattles too...but it's not the entire speedo...it's the freakin' plastic/glass cover that rattles. Is this the rattling you've all experienced?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Kind of like of hive full of bees that you've just thrown a rock at? But only at certain RPMs? Welcome to our world. It's an easy fix though.

PS Check you speedometer against a GPS. I bet it's off any where from 5 - 10%

·
Registered
12 Posts
Getting back to the speedo vibration, what size O rings have been used? Also confirm the vibration is only coming from the 3 lowest bolts.

·
Registered
768 Posts
my speedo was loose from the console you could wiggle the clear lens in the console (bolts were tight) added o-rings between the black metal speedo mount and the console added a couple to the tank for good measure noise gone

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had an old bicycle innertube that I kept for tying up a stake to a young tree (better than rope -- won't cut into the bark) ... anyway ... I cut out a 1/2" circle, used a single hole punch used for paper, put that down as my O-ring on all areas under the speedo housing, and that cured the rattles.

For those with the rattling plexi-glass cover, use a thin bead of clear silicon. First tape off the chrome with some painters masking tape, then put a thin bead on your finger and shove it into the crack between the chrome and the clear plastic. Take a Q-tip and wipe off the excess. Take off the masking tape. Let it cure. Be careful so you don't get silicon all over the speedo window. No rattles.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How do you tell if you have the speedo rattle or the headlight rattle? Mine doesnt do it all the time. It seems it does it when riding into the wind and only at a certain RPM. I pushed in all places in the speedo housing and it doesnt seem to stop. Its a buzzing sound, not so much a rattle. If it was the speedo housing would it stop for sure by just pushing on it? How should I test if its the headlight doing it? Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unscrew the screw holding the headlight rim on. Pull the headlight housing out. Some folks have wrapped the wires with electrical tap, some have put packing popcorn/styrofoam in there, and some have put wall insulation in there for packing. You can do both the headlight fix and the speedo housing fix. If that doesn't do it, you may have your horn rattling against the frame. Simply bend that into a position it doesn't contact your frame or crash bar.

Anyone else have options?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Spederman --

I was able to stop the rattle by pushing down gently on the speedo housing with one hand while riding, so I was sure it was that, and not the headlight.
I managed to get o-rings into all seven spots between the housing and whatever it attaches to at each point, and that seems to have put an end to the buzzing.
I had to replace one of the screws in the process -- I accidentally dropped it, and I think it bounced down into somewhere under the gas tank. It didn't make it all the way to the ground, in any case. Not being in the mood to figure out how to pull the gas tank off just to look for a screw, I settled for buying another screw. If the old one is still hangin' out under my tank somewhere, at least it's not rattling...

-- Rich

1 - 20 of 20 Posts