Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 1300 VTXc registers 7mph fast at all speeds,is there some magic way to cure this????

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
my 1800 does the same. I just use an app on my phone called "speedometer" to know my real speed, rarely look at the speedo anyway. I ride with the pace of traffic.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
I use my VTX speedometer to keep my math abilities sharp (my speedometer is 5 miles off).
"Take the speed limit, add five, add nine, and stay on or below that speed".
Speed limit 65 means I'll be going 65+5+9 = 79 on my speedometer, or 74 for real.
(The nine in the hopes Mr. Officer only stops me when I go more than nine miles over the limit).
:geek: :giggle: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
I believe it is more of a percentage difference vs 7 mph across the board.
50 MPH indicated = 45 MPH on GPS
60 MPH indicated = 54 MPH
70 MPH indicated = 63 MPH
80 MPH indicated = 72 MPH
90 MPH indicated = 81 MPH
100 MPH indicated = 90 MPH.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My 07 1300 VTXc registers 7mph fast at all speeds,is there some magic way to cure this????
I've used this one since 07/2010: SpeedoDRD
Very easy install. Keep it inside the tool box (attachs where the stock speedo cable goes into the motor, just down and behind the tool box). No biggie to adjust when changing rear tire, if necessary.
(y)

·
Premium Member
3,511 Posts
I believe it is more of a percentage difference vs 7 mph across the board.
50 MPH indicated = 45 MPH on GPS
60 MPH indicated = 54 MPH
70 MPH indicated = 63 MPH
80 MPH indicated = 72 MPH
90 MPH indicated = 81 MPH
100 MPH indicated = 90 MPH.
Please Hans, my math skills and my memory are not THAT good!
:rolleyes: :giggle: :geek:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Please Hans, my math skills and my memory are not THAT good!
:rolleyes: :giggle: :geek:
it's not hard to figure it out, here is the basic formula you need to use to figure out the percentage differences: :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::cool:

Handwriting Font Monochrome Writing Design

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Speedometers are calibrated (under the false pretense of "safety", mind you) to show higher speed than actual. Meaning that when you are doing the speed limit, you are actually not, you are going too slow.
However, I don't even use my speedometer, I just ride at a relatively safe speed (relative to myself, my vehicle, my abilities and of course the road and traffic conditions).
I use it only to slow down for police vehicles. :)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I usually flow with traffic but when I'm alone I figure 5 or 6 miles over the posted limit is good. I'm in no big hurry anymore.

Reactions: henkvdb

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use the speedodrd like sumdatx posted above on my 1300. It's a little cheaper than the speedohealer and very easy to install. Its also tiny. Just plug in and tie up with a zip tie and press a few buttons which are explained to program it. Only thing is the odometer is off after that. It will show less mileage than your bike actually has. So, you have to decide what you want. I wanted to have accurate speed. I got sick of doing the 6-7mph difference calculation in my head all the time. Now my odometer/"fuel gauge" will show less mileage than it used to before I hit reserve. Some people don't mind , but I like my speed dead on accurate and that's what it shows now. I'm kind of surprised they allow these devices and they are not illegal since tampering with an odometer is (i think)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
As stated, I also use the Speeddodrd unit, my speedo is dead-on by GPS at all speeds with the % correction I did. My odometer is now off by -4%. so when I go 100 miles on the odometer, I actually did 104 miles. So I simply multiply my miles by 1.04 when doing my mpg calculation.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Stock vtx you will find is VERY close to +10% on the speedo. The signal from the speed sensor is just a single wire so the same pulses go to speedo and odo circuits. If measured closely my odo was close to +4%, not exactly 4 but close. I live on a dirt road many miles long, went slow with a stick making scratch marks in the dirt every 10th mile on the odo. Went back and measured a few intervals with an electronic rangefinder, should be 176yds. Don't remember the yards but it was around an additional 4%. So for purposes of measuring any sort of mileage like total bike miles, oil changes, tire life, mpg, it all really needs to be -4%.

Any of the speed correctors are inline with the speed sensor wire and alter the pulse frequency so the odo and speedo are adjusted by the same percent. I had a speedohealer programmed at -10.0%, made my speedo perfect with gps and those radar readouts. But I also knew the odo mileage was shifted -10% so that went from over recording about 4% to under recording about 6% (think I actually measured 5.8%). So over a periond of time I was recovering the previously over reported 4% miles at a rate of 6% with future miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts