Honda VTX Forum banner

Does the accuracy of your speedometer matter to you?

• Absolutely! Need to keep accurate track of mileage.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only to keep track of fuel mileage.

• Somewhat. Its nice to know, but I keep track in my head.

• Nope! Don't ever look at it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new on here so please forgive me if you have seen this before.:confused:
I have a 04 VTX1300 , and my speedometer was off from the factory by 7 MPH. No one could (or would) help me get this fixed. Finally, I found a device online that I thought I would try. It is the SpeedoDRD from 12oclocklabs . It is the least expensive device I had found and it turns out , it was well worth the money! After a small programming sequence (about 5 minutes) , my speedometer is right on the money! Yeah, I could have saved the money and just kept the speed difference in my head, but, I didn't want to! I do not work for this company, I am just a really satisfied customer! I thought someone else might be interested in it too! Please check it out for yourselves. They have them for almost ALL bikes too. :thumbup:

·
Old Goat
25,855 Posts
Welcome and Several folks on here use them with great success....me if I need to know I just look my gps....good luck

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Welcome, from Texas...

and to answer your question, I have a GPS if I want to know the real speed/mileage.

But it still seems to me if it's going to have one, it ought to be accurate.

·
Registered
424 Posts
welcome to the nuthouse, that has been posted before but not everyone has seen it. enjoy the forums there is a wealth of knowledge here and always room for one more rider. :lol:

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I voted "don't ever look at it"...even though I do use it as a gas gauge, it is accurate enough for that purpose. If I need to fill when the tripmeter reads "150"...it doesn't really matter if it's exactly 150 miles or not.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Massive confusion here...

welcome to the nuthouse, that has been posted before but not everyone has seen it. enjoy the forums there is a wealth of knowledge here and always room for one more rider.
I'm confused here...:dontknow:

What does speedo have to do with MPG? I "thought" the distance(miles) are measured via diameter of the tire X revolution?:dontknow:

So, the distance of a said tire traveled is where:

c=pi X d where:

c=circumference of the tire(in inches around) is equal to
pi= some obsecure number used by mathematicians(2.14)
d=diameter of said tire(across the tire)

1 mile=63,360 inches s=dt in physics where:

s=speed(MPH) is
d=distance(miles) times
t=time(hour) amount of time required to travel that distance.

Therefore:

d=s/t where:

d=distance traveled is
s=speed divided by
t=time it took to get there.

MPG=miles/gal where:

Miles traveled per gallon of fuel is
miles=actual traveled distance in miles divided by
gal= actual gallons of fuel used to travel that distance.

Hmmmm...................................................................:a13::crackpipe:

Confused yet???:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: I sure am...what the he!! am I rambling about any how?

Am I just blowing smoke up your a$$es?:dontknow:

Been a while since I was in school...so school me if you would. I'm sure there's something I'm missing here:shock:

:thumbup:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm confused here...:dontknow:

What does speedo have to do with MPG? I "thought" the distance(miles) are measured via diameter of the tire X revolution?:dontknow:

So, the distance of a said tire traveled is where:

c=pi X d where:

c=circumference of the tire(in inches around) is equal to
pi= some obsecure number used by mathematicians(2.14)
d=diameter of said tire(across the tire)

1 mile=63,360 inches s=dt in physics where:

s=speed(MPH) is
d=distance(miles) times
t=time(hour) amount of time required to travel that distance.

Therefore:

d=s/t where:

d=distance traveled is
s=speed divided by
t=time it took to get there.

MPG=miles/gal where:

Miles traveled per gallon of fuel is
miles=actual traveled distance in miles divided by
gal= actual gallons of fuel used to travel that distance.

Hmmmm...................................................................:a13::crackpipe:

Confused yet???:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: I sure am...what the he!! am I rambling about any how?

Am I just blowing smoke up your a$$es?:dontknow:

Been a while since I was in school...so school me if you would. I'm sure there's something I'm missing here:shock:

:thumbup:
dude...as intelligent as you are to extole the mathematics of how this works, I'm shocked that the obvious didn't smack you right in the head....

The reason the MPG would be affected is because if the speedo is off the ODOMETER will be off....they are running off the same cable.

The error that causes the bike to think it's going 65 when it's going 60 also make the bike think it traveled 1.09 miles when it only traveled 1 mile....

the odometer is off too...and since we use the odometer to calculate the miles driven on order to get MPG, we are getting falsely high MPG readings..

SO...the speedo being off doesn't ACTUALLY affect the gas mileage of our bikes (by some magical extra wind resistance or fuel usage) but it DOES affect our MPG CALCULATIONS.

======
this is why so many smart people are stupid. It's not about the math and the MPG's the bikes are getting, it's about the error in calculating the Perceived MPG that is in question. Us DUMB people understood that was inferred in the original question.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Speedo off, Odometer On

Hi guys,

Running with my Zumo 550, and stock tires, the speedo on my 1800R is overreading 7%, however, the odometer is right on.

This is logical, in that the manufacturer needs to be accurate on one, and is trying to keep your speed down on the other. It took me a long while to catch on to the overreading.

Check both odometer and speedometer to your gps, most will find that the odometer is bang on, and hence mileage will be too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
"they are running off the same cable."

Cable? What cable?:roll:
There is a speed sensor, but no cable.
Its all electronic these days.

That squeaking you hear is actually the speedo cable. Better get it lubed.:joke:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,

Running with my Zumo 550, and stock tires, the speedo on my 1800R is overreading 7%, however, the odometer is right on.

This is logical, in that the manufacturer needs to be accurate on one, and is trying to keep your speed down on the other. It took me a long while to catch on to the overreading.

Check both odometer and speedometer to your gps, most will find that the odometer is bang on, and hence mileage will be too.

So you claim the manufacturer intentionally caused a 7% error in the speedometer while keeping the odometer right on. That's not sounding right.
I too have an error in my digital speedometer. I chose to get the speedo healer for it. I'll probably need to call up the company for speedo healer and ask about your claim.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The post is correct that with the stock setup riders are getting a false high MPG result from miles traveled on a tank of fuel. When I had the stock setup I consistently had to switch to reserve at 160 to 165 miles. Average MPG was appx 42. After installing the Speedodrd and reprogramming to match GPS readings(more than one GPS) now I switch to reserve at appx 150. This makes MPG closer to 37. Somewhat of a bummer but at least I now know that it is much closer to reality. So if your stock speedo is off to the high side and you use the odometer to figure fuel mileage, your MPG calculations are probably somewhat inflated.

Your mileage may vary of course.

These are my perceptions. If you don't agree, I will somehow figure out a way to live with that.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
When I had my VTX I didn't frigging worry about it, I rode the bike and every night before I put it in the garage I stopped at the gas station half mile away and topped it off. If I rode long distances I would buy fuel when I stopped for food/drink or to get rid of previously purchased food/drink or whenever the Low Fuel light came on. Now I have a new Honda 1800 and well the GL1800 is such a pleasure to ride, but I still follow the same refueling plan.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The VTX Speedometer and Odometer are two separate devices that display information based on one signal provided from a single speed sensor. If you speedometer reads 7% low and your odometer is 1% low, when you calibrate your speedometer with one of those add-on gadgets to be accurate you will drive you odometer to be off by 6%. The ideal way to do the calibration would be to pull the speedometer and have it properly calibrated, if it could be done. But I doubt the circuitry is accessible or that Honda has a procedure for doing so.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The only thing I have to calibrate the speedometer and the odometer is a couple of GPS devices.

The bottom line is you gotta believe something. They match up with each other so that's the best I can do. But, who knows, the satellites may be off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The VTX Speedometer and Odometer are two separate devices that display information based on one signal provided from a single speed sensor. If you speedometer reads 7% low and your odometer is 1% low, when you calibrate your speedometer with one of those add-on gadgets to be accurate you will drive you odometer to be off by 6%. The ideal way to do the calibration would be to pull the speedometer and have it properly calibrated, if it could be done. But I doubt the circuitry is accessible or that Honda has a procedure for doing so.
I would think that both speedometer and odometer are off by the same percentage.

·
Registered
346 Posts
odo

Hi guys,

My speed-o-meter was off by quite a bit too but the odometer was right on. Now with the 1300 rear end I'm going a couple mph faster than indicated but the odo is off about 10% . Screws up my mpg calculations lol

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
O.k..

dude...as intelligent as you are to extole the mathematics of how this works, I'm shocked that the obvious didn't smack you right in the head....

======
this is why so many smart people are stupid. It's not about the math and the MPG's the bikes are getting, it's about the error in calculating the Perceived MPG that is in question. Us DUMB people understood that was inferred in the original question.

I knew what was said...my statements weren't meant to show intelligence. It was meant as a "wise-a$$" remark.:mrgreen:

With all the technical innovations and know-how and everything else y'all expect from Japan/Honda, they put out a product with crappy speedo that don't read right despite it's "advance electronics" design:lol:

I was only making an example of how intelligence have nothing to do with common sense:thumbup:

Besides, as a rule more "educated" people get, the less "common sense" they retain :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I voted "don't ever look at it"...even though I do use it as a gas gauge, it is accurate enough for that purpose. If I need to fill when the tripmeter reads "150"...it doesn't really matter if it's exactly 150 miles or not.

Same here...

Also, in a 20 mph school zone it appears to be accurate as the other vehicles around me are going the same speed.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
I never look at the Speedometer on the 1300R or 1800N while riding.

The speedo it on the tank, and wearing a full faced helmet it is not really in my operating field of view.

I opted to used a GPS unit mounted on the bars between the risers instead.

Looking down at your speedometer can be deadly.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would think that both speedometer and odometer are off by the same percentage.

Lots of people mistakenly think the same thing. One manufacturer of a calibration device the " Speed-o-healer " even clarifies it on their website. Go to this website. http://www.healtech-electronics.com/ Once you are there migrate to the SPEEDOHEALER page, from that page migrate to the F.A.Q page and scroll down and read F.A.Q. #5.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts