Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
For me it classifies as a sport tourer. I even had a backrest for a passenger. But, then again I come from a long line of very aggressive sport bikes. It just depends on a person's abilities / preferences I guess.
So, what's the differece between the Diavel and a street or naked bike? The Diavel looks like the Yamaha Fazer (the Diavel has even less wind protection) and (at Yamaha) the FJR1300 is the sport touring model, not the Fazer.
I don't like sport touring bikes (had one), but probably would like the Diavel, if it wasn't Italian.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought the last year made of the 2002 Honda ST1100. Paid $3,800 and it had 38,000 miles. That was 12/31/2015. It now has 82,500 miles. It's a V4 shaft drive. Engine is closest to bullet proof you can get with then easily going to 250,000 miles. It's perfect for me to jump between my ST and my 2006 VTX 1800C2. Takes the twisty roads easily. I ride it 3 days a week to work 51 miles around trip, and the VTX 2 days, and on weekends for just cruising I ride the VTX. ST has 7.4 gallon tank which means I can go twice the distance than my VTX. So you can sure buy one for quite a bit less than $10,000. I purchased both bikes for a total of $8,000. ST is very nimble for being as heavy as it is.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not really sport touring but has any of y'all ridden the Indian. FJT1200? I rode one at the Hot Springs rally last month. Wow, what a blast. Only rode for a few miles on a predetermined course but the best I can figure 3rd gear 9grand is approximately 87 mph with lots more to go. With a electronic wheelie preventer,and a traction control among other things, o and they never told me about the powerband, almost like a Yamaha yz. With 120 hp neat toy.

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Concours 14

34F72765-5A20-47B9-A0B7-D0BC62172180.jpg

I had a Concours 14 for about 4 years. It's a fantastic bike, but it was too uncomfortable for me personally to do multi-day trips on it. It has a very aggressive forward-leaning sitting position, even with an aftermarket set of risers and seat on it. I could do L.A. to vegas trips on it as it was perfect for shorter trips, but I would be pretty uncomfortable on trips over 3 days. Now that's just me, but for you younger guys, that might not be a problem at all. That engine is a gem, silky smooth, reliable, and very powerful. I eventually went back to cruiser style touring bikes for the comfort factor, but I miss the "fun" factor of the sport-touring bikes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
For me it classifies as a sport tourer. I even had a backrest for a passenger. But, then again I come from a long line of very aggressive sport bikes. It just depends on a person's abilities / preferences I guess.
So, what's the differece between the Diavel and a street or naked bike? The Diavel looks like the Yamaha Fazer (the Diavel has even less wind protection) and (at Yamaha) the FJR1300 is the sport touring model, not the Fazer.
I don't like sport touring bikes (had one), but probably would like the Diavel, if it wasn't Italian.
yeah like I said it just kind of depends on what you're willing to deal with or what your skill level / abilities are. I've had the Yamaha fazer 1000. That bike just had a under tuned sport bike motor and was pretty naked as well get it still could be a sport or to some people.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yeah like I said it just kind of depends on what you're willing to deal with or what your skill level / abilities are. I've had the Yamaha fazer 1000. That bike just had a under tuned sport bike motor and was pretty naked as well get it still could be a sport or to some people.
I've always wanted the FJR. now the seating position on the FDR is the same as the diavel yeti Diablo can take a turn twice as hardcore as an any FJR. It's really just a matter of perspective and the person in general. Some people consider the Honda interceptor a sport tour. I've had two interceptors and didn't really consider them a sport tour but I respect the fact that other people did because it worked for them. I've owned 26 Harleys and 15 sport bikes and going on about 8 metric cruisers. I've also owned 3 Buell sport bikes which I don't consider Harleys aside from the fact that the motor is a Sportster platform. I'm not bragging, I just go through motorcycles like I go through women The Grass is always Greener and that's not a good thing.I'm speaking text so if it's not perfect that's why I and I don't have time to go back and proofread because I'm working but it's my own business so I can do what I want.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't think your sill level or abilities has anything to do with it. That won't define a bike if it a sport tourer or not. As you said, the Fazer is ua (street) bike with an undertuned sport bike motor. Its setup (and the undertuned engine) make it a street bike, not a sport bike or a sport tourer or cruiser or dirt bike. Same with the Diavel. Its setup is not a sport tourer setup.
Can you make a sport tourer of of it? Yes you can, but you have to do it. Same, like a VTX 1800 R. Is it a touring bike? No, it's a cruiser. Can you make a touring bike of it. Yes you can, many have done it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts