Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once saw a bike coming at me with small spotlights mounted on the forks similar to a turn signal. The extra lights really made him noticable (but then again, I always check out bikes when I'm driving my car). I didn't get a close look at the bike, but I think his turn signals were mounted up on the handlebars ala Harley.

Anyone have (or know of) some small spotlights that are fork mounted? Where to buy? How much? I'd like to get more lights up front, but I don't think a lightbar looks right on a C model. If I can't come up with this type of set-up, however, I will go with a lightbar.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Loo at the Honda Rider Dies thread. (pictures)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right...that Kewlmetal set up looks great! Does it come with all 4 of those lights in the picture? (Oh, I see now..the small ones are supposed to be used as turn signals) I'm kinda wondering about wiring them through a headlight modulator so I could have them "flashing" back and forth between the small ones and the bigger ones. (and using something else as a turn signal) Might annoy people...cops might write me a ticket...but it would sure be highly visible. :wink: Just a thought. I'd need to be able to turn off the "alternating lights" feature when I was in rural areas (90% of my riding) since it would probably go through bulbs in a hurry.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past some cager to look right at me and think, "hmmmm, look at all of the flashing lights..." and then pull right in front of me anyway.

I wonder where Cantex got his lights. Wonder if they would be less $$ than the Kewlmetal set-up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have Kuryakyn turn signals mounted on the forks. Depending what you plan to do with your turnsignals you could mount their halogen lights there or...they have clamps you could mount to the downtube

[/quote][/code][/list][/list]

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the Kurys mounted on my crash bar on the outside horizontal section of the bars next to my hwy pegs, everyone says they look 20 ft wide coming down the highway, IMO the lightbar setup, though looks good, just seems like one big light coming at you. I like to have that triangle effect. I will post a pic as soons as I can. They also light up the road good.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I have the Headwinds light bar that mounts under the bottom triple tree. It really dresses up that area. I also have the Kury LED's mounted on front fork with "P clamps” for signals, they can be had in halogen to be used as running/fog lamps & mounted just about anywhere you can find a bolt. I have a buddy who mounted some on his lower front forks (1600 Vulcan Classic).The possibilities are endless! BTW the photos don't do the lights justice I'll take some better ones someday.......... :D Rod

·
Registered
280 Posts
the driving lights on my bike are piaa 1100x.
they are BRIGHT.

i leave them on all the time, at least i know they see me coming now.

i bought them for about $160 on ebay, fabricated a small L bracket to mount them on, and then had to get a couple of longer bolts.
done.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Made my own brackets. You can usually find aftermarket lights like these at auto stores or harbor frieght for $25 to $50 for 2.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I like your setup, Joeface. I think the triangle effect makes us more visible ...

(I think Helen Keller could see YOU coming!!! :D :D :D )

·
Registered
117 Posts
Running the wires?

How are you hiding the wiring from the lights mounted by the hubs? And any issues with the fork movement when the shocks depress? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
figowitz said:
I like your setup, Joeface. I think the triangle effect makes us more visible ...

(I think Helen Keller could see YOU coming!!! :D :D :D )
Like he said at the start of the thread. I saw a bike coming at me with the same type of setup and it really caught my eye, because of the triangle shape, not because they were bright. I didn't even know it was a bike until it got closer. 8) Keep up the good mods guys :mcrider:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: Running the wires?

z28flash said:
How are you hiding the wiring from the lights mounted by the hubs? And any issues with the fork movement when the shocks depress? Thanks!
For now I am running the wire through a rubbre hose, looks just like the brake hose, I have it tie wrapped to the brake hose. Figure on putting stainless braid over it in the future. If you can't hide it make it shine 8)
No issue with the fork movement, if you run it like your brake line with a little slack for movement.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re:Running the wires

Hey Joeface, thanks, I like that idea for running the wiring. I've been contemplating extra lighting like most here, just haven't determined where to mount, but that gives me additional concepts! Ride safe!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts