Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my rear spring setting set on #3 at one time. When I'd get around 70mph I'd hear what sounds to me like a spring sound. Maybe like a slinky (the toy) sound that last maybe a second at the most. And mostly when I went around a curve or hit a bump on a curve.

Now I have my rear spring set on #4 and I hear it more often and don't have to be running 70mph to hear it. It sounds as if it's coming from either underneath me or behind me.

What could it be? Could it be either my rear shocks or my final drive? Anybody else hear this on theirs?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a vibration.... Just a strange sound...

M

·
0 Posts
nathan61999 said:
...What could it be? Could it be either my rear shocks or my final drive?...
I would suspect the coil in the shock is shifted slightly and coming in contact with the chrome shroud. Increasing the shock setting places more load against the rebound spring and can distort it if not being compressed evenly. Try compressing a spring from a ball point pen and you'll see what I mean.

V

·
0 Posts
Hey Nathan. I get the very same noise. To me it sounded almost like a person was taking a steel brush and rubbing it very quickly on an old metal washboard. I have my shocks set on the #2 setting. Weird, but I haven't worried about it.

Happy crusin' 8)

R

·
0 Posts
Mr X said:
nathan61999 said:
...What could it be? Could it be either my rear shocks or my final drive?...
I would suspect the coil in the shock is shifted slightly and coming in contact with the chrome shroud. Increasing the shock setting places more load against the rebound spring and can distort it if not being compressed evenly. Try compressing a spring from a ball point pen and you'll see what I mean.

Good answer

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VTX-Factor said:
Hey Nathan. I get the very same noise. To me it sounded almost like a person was taking a steel brush and rubbing it very quickly on an old metal washboard. I have my shocks set on the #2 setting. Weird, but I haven't worried about it.

Happy crusin' 8)
You described it perfectly. I was hoping it was as everyone seems to think, being the shocks and not something going on with the drive. That would bite.

V

·
0 Posts
Any ideas why it only does it at about 70? I can be riding 55 and hit a big bump and not hear the noise, yet I can be riding at 70 and hit a small bump or g-out and hear it. :?:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts