Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike started acting up last thursday and I thought it was bad gas (Coughing only). Friday the same thing so I burned up the remaining fuel and filled up again. (I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections. I took the seat off and the battery was connections were tight, I check the air filter and the plugs, no problem). Saturday I didn't ride but Sunday I went for a 120 mile ride and no problem so I figured it was the gas.
Today I am on my way to work and the bike started doing the same but worst. Backfired, coughed and lack of power. 7 miles out and I had to turn back home. I barely made it.
So I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections loose. (Or maybe a foul plug). So I came home took the seat off and the battery connections were tight. I figure maybe a grounding issue because a week ago I installed the hondaline lightbar. Nope I can't find anything. Suddenly while I was putting the battery cover back on I got a glance of the ICM (ignition control module) and saw that the black wire was broken. I mean you could barely see that something was going on there!!!. I have no clue how this got broken but it did. Checking my service manual this wire is hooked to the Engine Stop switch and fuel cut-off relay. No wonder!
In order to fix it I disconnected the 22P connector and with a very small screw driver I had to push the square connector from inside the case. This is very delicate and I ended up bending it a bit. This actually took me awhile since I didn't know how it was hooked inside and I was trying to push in a way not to damage anything. This connector is very strong but it can bend easily. The wire was too short so I ended up extending it with another piece of same gauge wire. I put it back together in the box making sure it was in the right direction. Started the bike and VOILA!!!! (Stupid wire!)
I just wanted to document this in case another member has the same issue.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the info, good to hear you fixed it yourself.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Thanks, good stuff! IMO some of Honda's elec connector's (like the 2 speedo nacelle) could be a bit beefier as well.

Biddy

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Kingato said:
My bike started acting up last thursday and I thought it was bad gas (Coughing only). Friday the same thing so I burned up the remaining fuel and filled up again. (I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections. I took the seat off and the battery was connections were tight, I check the air filter and the plugs, no problem). Saturday I didn't ride but Sunday I went for a 120 mile ride and no problem so I figured it was the gas.
Today I am on my way to work and the bike started doing the same but worst. Backfired, coughed and lack of power. 7 miles out and I had to turn back home. I barely made it.
So I checked the board for similar problems and everything indicated it was the battery connections loose. (Or maybe a foul plug). So I came home took the seat off and the battery connections were tight. I figure maybe a grounding issue because a week ago I installed the hondaline lightbar. Nope I can't find anything. Suddenly while I was putting the battery cover back on I got a glance of the ICM (ignition control module) and saw that the black wire was broken. I mean you could barely see that something was going on there!!!. I have no clue how this got broken but it did. Checking my service manual this wire is hooked to the Engine Stop switch and fuel cut-off relay. No wonder!
In order to fix it I disconnected the 22P connector and with a very small screw driver I had to push the square connector from inside the case. This is very delicate and I ended up bending it a bit. This actually took me awhile since I didn't know how it was hooked inside and I was trying to push in a way not to damage anything. This connector is very strong but it can bend easily. The wire was too short so I ended up extending it with another piece of same gauge wire. I put it back together in the box making sure it was in the right direction. Started the bike and VOILA!!!! (Stupid wire!)
King Dude. I have the exact same thing going on. Based on your finding here I just came in from checking my ECM and all I did was touch the green wire and it fell off the connector. And it won't run without the green wire either. The black wire next to it is nicked through the insulation and no doubt will fail early. Honda dealer will get it courtesy of extended warranty. Thanks man it was driving me crazy.
www.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ridnagn/ecm.jpg That a look at that link showing the wires.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
RobT said:
Kingato said:
King Dude. I have the exact same thing going on. Based on your finding here I just came in from checking my ECM and all I did was touch the green wire and it fell off the connector. And it won't run without the green wire either. The black wire next to it is nicked through the insulation and no doubt will fail early. Honda dealer will get it courtesy of extended warranty. Thanks man it was driving me crazy.
www.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ridnagn/ecm.jpg That a look at that link showing the wires.
BLACK POWER

This is an update. I delivered my 1300 to the dealer for the above described problem 11 days ago. All I had to do was show them my discovery and let the words 'extended warranty' roll off my tongue. They ordered and installed a new main harness.
I just drove that 1300 home this afternoon from Roseville Cycle Center in Sacramento Ca. The service writer let me know that the next two wires in line on the old connector were beginning to fail and would have eventually broken. And he achknowledged that this is a known defect to Honda.
Thank you kingato for showing me where to look. Everyone. If you are one of the riders who has an unexplained miss-fire really consider looking at the plug. It's on the top of the battery and feeds an electronic engine control unit.
BLACK POWER

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If you look you will see that the ECM moves around alot on top of the
battery cover when the bike is running.
I used a little heavy duty Velcro and it don't move no mo'.
IMO this constant movement is what makes the wires fail.
Spencer :twisted:

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Spencer said:
Spence Dude. for sure constant vibs contribute to an early demise. I think the harness shop assembler nicked the copper when stripping the ends.... and all the vibration helps it along. My miss fires didn't show up untill 2 1/2 years and 28000+ miles later. That harness is $113.00 delivered from HDL. Shop rate in Sacramento County is $65. or more. I know king Dude fixed his own but WTH I paid for warranty. My extended is good thru the middle of OCT. 2008.
BLACK POWER

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Spencer said:

Thanks for bringing that to our attention RobT, good stuff to know about the iffy connector. Glad to hear it was covered under warranty and hopefully Big Papason Honda will make the proper corrections at the factory. Also good idea there Spencer to keep the wires in firmly place.

Biddy

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info hav'nt got my new bike yet but hope this monday I'm waiting on the dealer to put on my cobra pipes now if it backfires when I pick it up thats the frist place I'll check you just mite of saved me some green because I would have contributed it to the new pipes and got a jet kit a air kit etc etc.... agin thanks dude!!!!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Re: Thanks

fordman said:
Thanks for the info hav'nt got my new bike yet but hope this monday I'm waiting on the dealer to put on my cobra pipes now if it backfires when I pick it up thats the frist place I'll check you just mite of saved me some green because I would have contributed it to the new pipes and got a jet kit a air kit etc etc.... agin thanks dude!!!!
fordman dude. Don't be to quick, it will be missfires with some backfire and rough running.....
BLACK POWER

·
Registered
159 Posts
You guys rock ! !
I've had my VTX for 2 years now. Not a problem - just a happy bike :D
All of a sudden, after 43,000 miles, it started acting up - just like the subject of this post says.
First I changed the plugs, then drained the gas and put in new gas. Nothing . . .
Did a search on the 1300 Board for 'bad gas', got a boatload of hits, but didn't look at any till I saw the subject line of this thread.
Wow ! Hit the nail on the head. Called the dealer this AM, told them what the problem was, although they were way reluctant to believe what this chick was telling them. Dropped it off, told them to start with the ECM wire. Still looked at me funny . . . whatever . . .
They called me back, said they fixed the problem. I had to ask them what the problem was since they didn't offer up that info. Go figure.
Oh . . . a loose ECM wire, eh ? Geez. . . who'd a guessed ? ! ! lol
I took it to the dealer since I had purchased the extended warranty and thought I would save myself the trouble and follow Rob T's path. Thanks dude !
I can't imagine how much trouble this has saved me or what the dealer would have done if I hadn't insisted on checking the ECM wire, but thanks for putting this thread out there : )

·
Registered
352 Posts
Great post Kingato :!:

Thanks for the additional info RobT.

This post could save me alot of scrrewing around someday.

Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
I will be checking my harness tomorrow morning! I've had a misfire/backfire for about a week. I only have 1850 miles on it and changed gas twice so I know the gas isnt the problem.

Good info and a place to check out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts