Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm really hoping with the knowledge and experience we have on the site someone can save my baby! She just started running crazy the other week and at first I was thinking battery. After charging on the trickle over night she was at full charge again. She ran alright at first but once I hit second gear, there was some severe sputtering and almost stalled out entirely. All the while my odometer will go blank and the backlight goes out and back on. The gas gauge occasionally will fall to zero and then back up again to the speed I'm maintaining and then down and up, down and up... Could this be as simple as the jets in the carb are dirty? Spark plug issue? I already checked the connection to the odometer and that seems in tacked. I haven't been on a solid ride now in over a month and I'm dying inside lol. Thoughts, insight, videos, and prayers will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Gas gauge?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Battery Ground

Odometer actions reflect either bad ground or bad battery as a potential cause. When mine responded in that manner, my battery cable connection was loose.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Loose battery connections or charging system not working.
Loose cables are common, tighten with a small wrench.

Gas gauge falling to zero and going up to speed = speedometer.

They were interested in your gas gauge!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol sorry was heavily distracted at work while typing that all up. No gas gauge, speedometer was what I meant.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Defenately electrical.
Are you tightening the battery cables with a screwdriver. Use a ratchet with an socket , screwdriver won't get it tight enough.
Only one eyelit allowed on battery.
Bad or corrowes ground on front coil under the tank , not the rear coil.
Also place a 1/2" piece of a drinking straw under the battery nut of each terminal and place a 1/4 lock washer under the head of the battery bolt so it doesn't vibrate loose.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is why I love this forum! Thanks to all, it was the ground wire. Took the socket suggestion and snugged the nut/screw down good and tight, changed the spark plugs too and now she's running beautifully as usual. Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts