Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike to the stealer last week to get a new rear tire put on, and since getting it back I have a squeek coming from the rear. I figure it is coming from the brake because when I apply the rear brake it stops, then it starts again when I let off. I prefer not to take it back to the stealer, but I don't know much about brake calipers. Is there an easy fix?

·
Registered
20 Posts
squeeky brake

About 8500 miles on my X, just started to squeel while riding this weekend. A tap on the rear brake and the noise goes away for a little while, but returns again a short time later. Turning corners or swaying the bike will bring it back as well. I hate to go through neighborhoods with the loud squeeling, rather embaressing. I figured it was the squeeky brake pads rubbing.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you can call it a squeel. It sounds a lot like the problem that DrDude is having above. It is just annoying, plus I'm leaving on a 2500 mile trip a week from Friday and want to make sure everything is ready and on the up and up. Thanks Bare.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
FFParamedic said:
I guess you can call it a squeel. It sounds a lot like the problem that DrDude is having above. It is just annoying, plus I'm leaving on a 2500 mile trip a week from Friday and want to make sure everything is ready and on the up and up. Thanks Bare.
If it sounds like a slight drag between the pads and the rotor it is normal and pretty (very) common for these bikes. If it's anything more it wouldn't hurt to have someone else check it out. I usually don't say this, but given your situation and how hard it is to diagnose sounds on the net it might not hurt to swing by a dealer and ask their opinion where they can hear the sound in person.
This is supposing that you have a dealer who you trust has at least half a brain when dealing with this bike. :wink:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the opinion Bare. I really appreciate the time you put in on this site.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
You shouldn't hear anything but a slight dragging when the bike is up on the lift and you turn the wheels. If you travel down the road with any squeeling at all somethings not right. Glazed pads or brake dust can cause this and the fix is removal, clean and rescuff pad and replace.

How many cars you hear out there with screetching brakes?, it's not normal.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts