Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to change out the clutch and throttle cables with braided stainless steel. How about some advice on which cables are the best and which to avoid because of premature wear and breakage. Thanks folks,
I have learned a lot from this website, you are great.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have been using Motion Pro throttle cables and Barnett clutch cable. I have been keeping an eye on the clutch cable just because of a few members having problems with them. I also went with the SS front brake line from Gafer. Not sure if HDL carries the Motion Pro cables are the Gafer front brake line you might have to contact them and find out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've used a Galfer stainless steel front brake line & Barnett stainless steel braided throttle and clutch cables for two years, over 14,000 miles, and no problems.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
I have the Magnum Sterling Chromite throttle/clutch cables...they look awesome! I did have the Motion Pro throttle/clutch cables before, but I liked the look of the Magnums! Plus, my MP clutch cable snapped on me one time. Here's a comparison of the two side-by-side and what they look like on the bike:

Motion Pro Cables

Magnum Cables

·
Registered
553 Posts
MR VTX said:
I have the Magnum Sterling Chromite throttle/clutch cables...they look awesome! I did have the Motion Pro throttle/clutch cables before, but I liked the look of the Magnums! Plus, my MP clutch cable snapped on me one time. Here's a comparison of the two side-by-side and what they look like on the bike:

Motion Pro Cables

Magnum Cables

Those are sweet! Big difference in price? Where'd ya get 'em?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Mr VTX,

Just had to ask. I noticed that the first pic had the original handlebars and the 2nd pic has the CP punishers. I have the same bars on my 1300C. How much longer did you go on the cable lengths? I bought some +2 Barnetts, and installed the clutch cable already, But I'm thinking I may need +4 on the throttle cables. The clutch cable looks fine, but I think the +2 throttle cables may come up a little short. By the way.....Love the Pearl Orange....that's why I got mine!!
Thanks for any input.
Dan

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
CaptDanbo said:
Mr VTX,

Just had to ask. I noticed that the first pic had the original handlebars and the 2nd pic has the CP punishers. I have the same bars on my 1300C. How much longer did you go on the cable lengths? I bought some +2 Barnetts, and installed the clutch cable already, But I'm thinking I may need +4 on the throttle cables. The clutch cable looks fine, but I think the +2 throttle cables may come up a little short. By the way.....Love the Pearl Orange....that's why I got mine!!
Thanks for any input.
Dan
Yes, Pearl Orange does rock! 8) I ordered the R/S Magnum cables, which worked out great. I would think the +2" cables will work fine. Actually, the R/S cables were not very much longer than the C cables when I put them side-by-side.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Thanks for the reply MrVTX. Since I already have the cables....I'll try them out. I do believe that the R/S cables are about 1 1/2 inches longer then the C cables, so the +2 cables I have will probably work fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
CaptDanbo said:
Thanks for the reply MrVTX. Since I already have the cables....I'll try them out. I do believe that the R/S cables are about 1 1/2 inches longer then the C cables, so the +2 cables I have will probably work fine.

Thanks
Pearl Orange must be a Yankee thing...I was born in Nashua! :lol:

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...sorry for the hijacking... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts