Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't stand the bike upright and get the extra 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank when I refill? I live in rural Colorado and the closest station I use is 23 miles away. So I don't store the bike in yhe garage without running some of the gas off. I also commute 140miles round trip to work each day. So the extra 1/2 gal helps.

However if there is a clear reason why I shouldn't, then I'll stop. Thanks all!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can get more in mine with the bike on the sidestand. Admittedly I have to go real slow towards the end so I don't make a mess. Which is good in my case, as I don't want to think about being seated on the bike should a disaster happen.

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
the biggest one I can think of.. is dropping the bike.. balancing bike, gas hose, looking into tank. not paying attention on balance..

keep an extra gas can in the garage to top off the tank on the bike. If you NEED to have it full.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Have you ever considered a 30 gal gas caddy for your garage? Or on a cheaper note.... buying 5-10 5 gal cans and using them at home?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
There is no good reason. I do it all the time. I have over filled it. The gas runs down under the front edge of the seat not your balls

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S III using tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There is no good reason. I do it all the time. I have over filled it. The gas runs down under the front edge of the seat not your balls

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S III using tapatalk 2

I sit on my seat and fill up also :dontknow:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can anyone give me a good reason why I shouldn't stand the bike upright and get the extra 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank when I refill? I live in rural Colorado and the closest station I use is 23 miles away. So I don't store the bike in yhe garage without running some of the gas off. I also commute 140miles round trip to work each day. So the extra 1/2 gal helps.

Nope...no good reason why you shouldn't that I am aware of. Been doing it for a LONG time. No issues that I've experienced.
-Aaron

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I have never done anything BUT fill my bikes while standing up. Extra gas and no worries.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
what if your balls run under the front edge of the seat? :shock:

if there hanging that low chances are your riding an oldwing:lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have never filled the tank while standing it upright. There are lots of things that can go wrong with that scenario and they have been discussed in previous posts.

·
Super Moderator
64,170 Posts
Gas will cause chemical burns, gas flows down the tank toward the seat. Do you really want 2nd degree burns to that area?? Just to get another 1/2 gallon in the tank?? To me, 15 miles more ain't worth 2nd degree burns

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a woman, I really don't have balls to worry about and my "nether region" doesn't even get close to the edge of the seat while I'm filling. Matter of fact, had a little splash back today and it never touched me. Trying to figure out how at 5'3" I don't have a concern about balancing this heavy baby while filling but the big guys seem to. So far, it's been very easy as long as I keep the pump to my left. Anyway, as long as there is no mechanical reason why I shouldn't do it, I'll continue unless a problem arises. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Go ahead and don't worry. Just keep an eye on the flow of gas until the end when filling the tank. And close the tank first before putting it on the side stand.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
As a woman, I really don't have balls to worry about and my "nether region" doesn't even get close to the edge of the seat while I'm filling. Matter of fact, had a little splash back today and it never touched me. Trying to figure out how at 5'3" I don't have a concern about balancing this heavy baby while filling. So far, it's been very easy as long as I keep the pump to my left. Anyway, as long as there is no mechanical reason why I shouldn't do it, I'll continue unless a problem arises. Thanks all!

i agree if you cant balance a bike while putting gas in it should you be riding it

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
maybe someone can answer this related question

There wouldn't be so much of a problem filling a tank to the lip while upright, if the flow of the fuel going in could be slowed just before stopping. Is this a pump manufacturers intent. to spill and thus use more fuel, making $$ for the vendor? I would think this could also be a safety issue that needs addressed. Anyone else think this? Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I always fill my bikes up while on the center stand. Only overfilled once, no biggie.

IMHO you can get more gas into the VTX 1800c tank while upright.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Deserve it

Well nether reasons withstanding - I gamble and fill while in the saddle. If I spill that may be Divine intervention to remind me of my insignificance in the universe, or God needed to laugh at some poor moron and his bad choice that day.

I do have the hinged tank cap which make it easier.

Thanks to all, I feel more manly after this thread. Potentially more stupid if I spill, but more manly. I fill with the wife onboard as well. Double Green Stamps* for that alone.

*NOTE: For the younger readers Green Stamps were the reward program used in pre-audio cassette days. You got stamps at participating merchants licked and pasted them in a book for years and used that to buy overpriced junk.

:joke:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts