Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that bought a new Raider this past fall, very late in the year. He told me about it and said it had a 240 rear tire. I argued with him that it did not. I researched on the internet and everything I found said that they came with a 210 tire. Went to see his bike and sure enough, a 240 rear tire. He said thats what they all come with? I decided to leave well enough alone and last week I was in our local m/c dealers and they had a new Raider on the floor. I looked at the rear tire and sure enough---240!?

What the heck am I missing here? The only thing I can come up is that the first year models had 210 tires and the next year they went to a stock 240 size. Anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My big bro has an 08 Star Raider S (he's here visiting now)! It comes with a stock 210. However a 240 will fit on the stock rim8) (like a 200 will fit on the stock VTX rim;)) ....but not sure if the 09's come stock with the 240...could be the dealer stuck it on there.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Maybe this will help, Copied from Raider FAQ

The bike has been engineered to use the stock tire width of 210mm. Several owners have installed a 240mm rear using the stock rim and fender, without any reported problems. In actuality, installing the 240 rear causes the sidewalls and bead of the tire to pinch in on the sides, and the crown to bulge around the circumference, changing the profile of the tire. The diameter of the 240 is slightly larger than the stock 210, so the ride height of the bike will be slightly higher. We find it important to state that the official word is that the 210 is the proper size tire for the stock 7.5" rim, and that the tire manufacturers also state that the correct rim size for fitment of a 240 is an 8.5" rim.
That being said, many Raider owners have told us that they have installed the 240mm tire on the stock rim and ridden several thousand miles with no ill effects and feel that the bike handles the same, if not better in some cases. It is important in this case to use your own judgment, the experience of other Raider owners in real-world riding, and make an informed decision.
Technically, if you want to fit a 240 rear tire correctly, Direct Line Parts has engineered and built an 8.5" rear wheel for the Raider, using the same design pattern as the stock wheel. We will be bringing the wheel to market on this site as soon as it is ready.
For a (lofty) price, reputable companies such as RC Components and Performance Machine have aftermarket 8.5" rear wheels which fit the Raider as well, with matching fronts.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Maybe this will help, Copied from Raider FAQ

The bike has been engineered to use the stock tire width of 210mm. Several owners have installed a 240mm rear using the stock rim and fender, without any reported problems. In actuality, installing the 240 rear causes the sidewalls and bead of the tire to pinch in on the sides, and the crown to bulge around the circumference, changing the profile of the tire. The diameter of the 240 is slightly larger than the stock 210, so the ride height of the bike will be slightly higher. We find it important to state that the official word is that the 210 is the proper size tire for the stock 7.5" rim, and that the tire manufacturers also state that the correct rim size for fitment of a 240 is an 8.5" rim.
That being said, many Raider owners have told us that they have installed the 240mm tire on the stock rim and ridden several thousand miles with no ill effects and feel that the bike handles the same, if not better in some cases. It is important in this case to use your own judgment, the experience of other Raider owners in real-world riding, and make an informed decision.
Technically, if you want to fit a 240 rear tire correctly, Direct Line Parts has engineered and built an 8.5" rear wheel for the Raider, using the same design pattern as the stock wheel. We will be bringing the wheel to market on this site as soon as it is ready.
For a (lofty) price, reputable companies such as RC Components and Performance Machine have aftermarket 8.5" rear wheels which fit the Raider as well, with matching fronts.
Nice plug.;) But true.

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
OK, so are the Newer models coming with a 240 or still the 210???

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
09's come stock with a 210 tire :thumbup:

From Yamaha's Raider page
Custom 5-spoke wheels carry a 120/70-21-inch bias tire up front, and a wide, 210/40-18 radial out back—the tallest and widest ever on a Star.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mmmmm....so my local dealer is putting on 240 tires and not even telling the sellers? Somethings weird here. I should ask them, but I dont think anyone there would know what I was talking about. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If that's the case, it would be odd for them to be sticking them on there. It could make them liable if something bad happens. OK if the customer wants to alter their stock bike but.....:yikes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts