Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,
Up here in N.E. Ohio we are rounding 3rd & heading home for the 2019 riding season. I just checked weather.com and for the next 10 days, I might have 1 more decent day for riding but that might be all she wrote.

Historically I put my bike up for the Winter in November so I’m right on schedule with that. The parts & pieces I have ordered for my bike are starting to show up (oil, filters, plugs, etc.). Outside of regular maintenance items, the only other project(s) I have to do is I want to change out the brake lines - still riding on the original rubber ones and I think it's time to retire those. I also want to get a new set of tires.

I know you folks down South have a longer riding season than we do, so take advantage of the that good riding weather.

Those of you who live up here where I do, what are your Winter plans or up-grades for your VTX/Bike?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep, winding down here in MI as well (I did, however, ride into the office today, nice morning and decent-looking afternoon).

I don't have much on the winter docket, as I have been sorting as much as I can in the last few months (it is a recent acquisition). I might get it a seat for Christmas. :grin2: One thing on my mind, progressive fork springs (the front end is a bit on the mushy side), bearing upgrade and maybe addressing the fork finish while it is all apart, which is oxidized pretty badly. Thinking maybe sanding and working my way to polish, but all eyes and ears for what others have done in this regard.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, winding down here in MI as well (I did, however, ride into the office today, nice morning and decent-looking afternoon).

I don't have much on the winter docket, as I have been sorting as much as I can in the last few months (it is a recent acquisition). I might get it a seat for Christmas. :grin2: One thing on my mind, progressive fork springs (the front end is a bit on the mushy side), bearing upgrade and maybe addressing the fork finish while it is all apart, which is oxidized pretty badly. Thinking maybe sanding and working my way to polish, but all eyes and ears for what others have done in this regard.
I bought my VTX new in 2004 and I put a set of Progresive springs in my front forks back in 2009, made a real noticeable difference in handling - they still feel great. It is not a difficult job, several have posted a procedure on the sight, I have even written my own. Last year I replaced both fork seals - didn't leak but were just getting old. I had my dealer install all new wheel bearing at the begining of last riding season, again parts getting old. Along with a new set of tires made my bike just glide down the highway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought my VTX new in 2004 and I put a set of Progresive springs in my front forks back in 2009, made a real noticeable difference in handling - they still feel great. It is not a difficult job, several have posted a procedure on the sight, I have even written my own. Last year I replaced both fork seals - didn't leak but were just getting old. I had my dealer install all new wheel bearing at the begining of last riding season, again parts getting old. Along with a new set of tires made my bike just glide down the highway.

This is great to hear. I have installed them on four other motorcycles, and was always happy with the improvement, just have never done it on a big cruiser before.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Yikes!! Toledo Ohio is same way, getting cold when the sun goes down. Rode last Saturday, temp by noon was 70.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would recommend the race tech gold valve emulators over progressives. No comparison, I have had both.
I have not had those on my bike so I am not sure however they are a bit more money and do require some modifications to the stock set-up on the VTX. Wonder it that might be a bit of over-kill on a big cruiser?

like I said though, i'm just not sure?

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
:wink2:The first guy to say the W word should be shot

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Honestly, with the progressives I had zero improvement. 1300 c. maybe the r is more receptive to them.
Back in the day I bought a set...then read mixed reviews...sold them brand new in the box....:thumbup: ....I may not be as sensitive as others...never had a bad ride on OEM....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
New Progressives have to be better than 12yo OEM. look at it that way. New OEM's gotta be better too. New Oil, New Springs would be nice after 12-13 years. Talkin' bout my bike ya understand.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New Progressives have to be better than 12yo OEM. look at it that way. New OEM's gotta be better too. New Oil, New Springs would be nice after 12-13 years. Talkin' bout my bike ya understand.
Yea, I'd say it's about time for some new springs/oil.

We have a good 5 months of Winter or just generally lousy weather riding days. If you have a garage, it does give you the chance to get all the maintenance or up-grades you need to do.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Although my bike was orig sold new in Jul 2008, so really its 11 yo. Plus it was garage kept until i got it, now it is too in that speedway shelter under the carport. Keeps the bike more dust free than uncovered in a garage.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the things I was thinking when I started this thread was to encourage folks to come up with a Winter prep procedure.

Years ago, I got in the habit of giving my bike a really good going over in late Fall so when Spring comes rolling around, all I have to do is drop it off its stand, disconnect the trickle charger, air up the tires if they need it, start it up and go for a ride.

I wrote my own procedure complete with part no.'s, notes and products that I will need to use - It takes all the guess work out of this... plus I don't always remember everything from year to year.

This could be as simple or complicated as you want, but having a plan is way better than just "winging it." Saves a lot of trips back-n-forth from the store or waiting for the UPS driver to show up with parts.

Well anyway, just a thought here about Winter prep.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My winter prep is pretty straightforward. Oil change, tank topped off with stabilized fuel, a few extra pounds of air in the tires, and on the other bikes, wheels up off the ground (not seeing that with the VTX so maybe park it on multiple sheets of cardboard), and it's on a tender all winter (I have a four-port for the bikes). Every spring, they're ready to go.

This one, however, is a couple months new to me. Does everyone run the carb dry/drain? Or keep it full with the stabilized fuel? I used different procedures on the other bikes.

Oh, and for what it's worth, rode in to the office today, which, based on the weather outlook, may be the last ride of the season.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I don’t really do anything aside from running stabilized fuel once it’s getting close, and keep on top of my oil changes.
I never really know when the last ride will be. Could be now, could be December. Once the snow flies, I top off the tank and leave it on a tender until spring. Nothing complicated required.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now the fun begins!

Tomorrow, 11/2/19, I will be putting my bike up on the rack for some post-riding season TLC. All my parts & pieces have arrived and now it's time to start wrenching.

Besides my usual Winter prep, the only other real "project" that I will be getting into will be changing out the rubber brake lines for a set (front/back) https://spieglerusa.com/catalog/category/view/id/36/shopbyAjax/1/bikes/4348/?position_dropdown=1632

Along with a good cleaning of the calipers and a new OEM Honda brake pads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts