Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before I get lots of reply’s I know what the problem is and wanted to pass it along

Ok the history:
About two weeks ago it started, I would start my bike and try to be stealth as I could with HK side burns not to wake every one at 5:45 am. The bike would start fine run her on choke for few seconds push in choke and let her warm up. It would idle fine for maybe 30 seconds or more and shut down. Try choke and no start, try full choke no start. Cranking nicely so I do the Hmm out of gas? , and flip to reserve still no start. So fortunately I live on long hill so down I go shifting into 5th gear, let out the clutch and after about 60 feet she comes to life. Relieved life is good and away I go. Never happened before so no big thing.

Well next day bimbo same thing, down the hill again and just about same stop she starts and away I go. So next day I think well sorry neighbors and I start her up crack the throttle few times and bimbo she drops right off after second crack of the throttle, and again down I go this time no fire. Do the doggy walk aver little knoll to next hill and she fires. Now I’m not a happy camper any more and wondering why only cold.

So next day its raining so I turn on exhaust fan in garage fire the bike let her run and bimbo she shuts down. I leave in car come home 11 hours later dam thing fires right up no problem for next three days. So I start thinking has to be fuel problem or vacuum hose to fuel valve. Tie in vacuum gauge crank engine pulls 18 inches in couple cranks and holds it with engine off for considerable amount of time. ( could have pulled more but thought no sence )

So I can eliminate vacuum problem. So next time bike doesn’t start I remove fuel hose from back side of pet cock, and she is dry as a bone. I take vacuum tester (small hand help pump unit) hook to vacuum side of pet cock and I can’t pull cant pull vacuum. Check connections all ok, remove hoses block with finger, Hmmm 20 inches of vacuum. Hook a longer vacuum hose to pet cock and suck with my mouth (DON’T EVEN GO THERE) and all I get is good ole gas fumes. So I check the screws at back of pet cock all tight, I note a very small bleed hole located at bottom of valve where vacuum diaphragm is. Hook tester back up cover hole with my finger second pump and fuel comes pouring out the pet cock fuel line. After a quick shut off of valve and wipe it I finally found the problem.

Will see how good the extended warranty is it tomorrow when I call stealer.
BTW there is nothing in shop manual about testing of the valve and very little mention of the fuel valve period. Nothing mentioned at all about it in trouble shooting ( with exception of vacuum)

Sorry for long read but thought before others have this problem
Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok before I get lots of reply’s I know what the problem is and wanted to pass it along

Ok the history:
About two weeks ago it started, I would start my bike and try to be stealth as I could with HK side burns not to wake every one at 5:45 am. The bike would start fine run her on choke for few seconds push in choke and let her warm up. It would idle fine for maybe 30 seconds or more and shut down. Try choke and no start, try full choke no start. Cranking nicely so I do the Hmm out of gas? , and flip to reserve still no start. So fortunately I live on long hill so down I go shifting into 5th gear, let out the clutch and after about 60 feet she comes to life. Relieved life is good and away I go. Never happened before so no big thing.

Well next day bimbo same thing, down the hill again and just about same stop she starts and away I go. So next day I think well sorry neighbors and I start her up crack the throttle few times and bimbo she drops right off after second crack of the throttle, and again down I go this time no fire. Do the doggy walk aver little knoll to next hill and she fires. Now I’m not a happy camper any more and wondering why only cold.

So next day its raining so I turn on exhaust fan in garage fire the bike let her run and bimbo she shuts down. I leave in car come home 11 hours later dam thing fires right up no problem for next three days. So I start thinking has to be fuel problem or vacuum hose to fuel valve. Tie in vacuum gauge crank engine pulls 18 inches in couple cranks and holds it with engine off for considerable amount of time. ( could have pulled more but thought no sence )

So I can eliminate vacuum problem. So next time bike doesn’t start I remove fuel hose from back side of pet cock, and she is dry as a bone. I take vacuum tester (small hand help pump unit) hook to vacuum side of pet cock and I can’t pull cant pull vacuum. Check connections all ok, remove hoses block with finger, Hmmm 20 inches of vacuum. Hook a longer vacuum hose to pet cock and suck with my mouth (DON’T EVEN GO THERE) and all I get is good ole gas fumes. So I check the screws at back of pet cock all tight, I note a very small bleed hole located at bottom of valve where vacuum diaphragm is. Hook tester back up cover hole with my finger second pump and fuel comes pouring out the pet cock fuel line. After a quick shut off of valve and wipe it I finally found the problem.

Will see how good the extended warranty is it tomorrow when I call stealer.
BTW there is nothing in shop manual about testing of the valve and very little mention of the fuel valve period. Nothing mentioned at all about it in trouble shooting ( with exception of vacuum)

Sorry for long read but thought before others have this problem
Kevin
I have had the same problem a few times. What is the fix?

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Possibly to not expect an answer from a 14 year old post. Just saying.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
Petcock cover has bad diaphragm or air/vacuum leaks on the vacuum hoses.
You did not say what year 1300, but there was a recall back in 2007-08.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts