Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
No problem. I did see your picture but my old gray matter forgot. :oops:

I would think that you would not have to use my method. Just make sure the headlight is off when you start your bike.

fastpek, Would you agree?

I wonder what wiring difference there is and if the European version would be adaptable to a U.S. version bike without cutting wires etc.
I think this is more a question for Hans but I even wonder if the starter button is different in USA and European models. Anyway I always start in the lights off position. I will make a picture of the European wire scheme later for comparison so things will get clear.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I have the Euro model 2002C here in Thailand. The previous owner snapped the selector switch handle off so he could fit chrome covers over both left and right switch assemblies (God bless him). I didn't like the headlight continuing to draw power when the starter motor was engaged so I inserted a Bosch 12v relay into my headlight circuit which cuts the headlight when starting the bike.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
VTX 1800C Right side switch wiring is different.
EURO has the Position lamp and power feed that USA version does not have.
Thanks Hans,

So Honda must have made two different wiring harnesses, one for U.S. and one for export for the headlight switch. Anyone know the part number for the export switch?

It is too bad the U.S. version did not have the headlight on/off switch. So I guess I will continue to use my hold button turn key method.

:beer3:

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
Thanks Hans,
So Honda must have made two different wiring harnesses, one for U.S. and one for export for the headlight switch. Anyone know the part number for the export switch?
It is too bad the U.S. version did not have the headlight on/off switch. So I guess I will continue to use my hold button turn key method. :beer3:
Did you ever turn on the headlight of a MC during the daylight hours???
CB350 was my first MC. probably No.
Next ride 1981 Yamaha XSSH850 automatic on

NHTSA.gov
Since 1979, most motorcycles sold in the United States have been equipped with automatic-on headlamps to meet some state requirements. This seems to have been an effective method of making them more conspicuous and reducing right-of-way violations. Currently, 86 percent of motorcycles on the road have their headlights on during daytime (Turner, 2000).

• Using the high beam of a motorcycle’s headlight during the day also helps to prevent violations of the motorcyclist’s right-of-way (Hurt, 1981).
>>>I started using the High Beam during the day. I was on a group ride and looking in the mirror I could see the difference of HL low vs high.
>>>Now I do not but I have aux lights to be seen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m not an electrician either, but if you push the start button & then turn on the ignition, aren’t you just moving the point of an arc from the easily addressed starter button contacts to the harder (& more expensive) to address ignition switch contacts???

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I’m not an electrician either, but if you push the start button & then turn on the ignition, aren’t you just moving the point of an arc from the easily addressed starter button contacts to the harder (& more expensive) to address ignition switch contacts???

The problem is you cannot buy a Starter switch, you have to buy the entire right side control unit (clam-shell) for $70.

I do the IGN On, then hit Starter switch. It will outlast me.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Had my VTX1800C 17 years since new in 2002 and never had an issue with the starter switch. Recently it started taking 2-3 presses, then a few weeks ago I got caught in a rain storm on they way home and it wouldn’t re start when I got home. Also the headlight wouldn’t come on if it did start. Seemed the relay was an issue so I cleaned the relay terminals and the fuses next to the relay (they were corroded). It’s better but still takes multiple presses to start it (headlight works every time now, though). With some searching I found this thread and all makes sense. I will disassemble the switch and clean/lubricate.

Thanks for posting this!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts