Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cranked my 2007 T up and noticed an unusual noise coming from engine and then realized the starter was still engaged. After turning off the engine bike stop running but the starter was still turning even with the key out of the switch. Headed to the garage to get tools to remove battery cables and was finally successful after about ten minutes total time. Suggestions on where to began will be appreciated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would go right to the starter switch and see if it is sticking. There is also a starter relay involved in the loop that someone here knows more about than I do.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Starter relay(solenoid) is most likely pitted and the contacts welded together. Happens frequently in the 1800. Most likely cause seems when battery was weak during a cranking event it chattered (lost contact---arced) and now is pitted so it was making a contact through a small connection which melted and cooled
creating a welded contact.
OEM replacement, a Suzuki unit is identical to the OEM and lawn tractor starter relays have been used. A 4-pole relay is necessary for the safety circuit so it does not start in gear.
Suzuki part here:: http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Relay-Solenoid-Suzuki-LT-F/dp/B008JIM52Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3/184-3835379-6201744
Lawn mower: Prime Line solenoid 7-01860-1

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?349921-Stock-Solenoid-Replacement

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Traced it down and it is indeed the starter relay. Thanks for the replies and the parts info. Big Al

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this issue with my 1800. No time to break it all down just yet, but this was definitely helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Traced it down and it is indeed the starter relay. Thanks for the replies and the parts info. Big Al
I have had this issue quite often and usually it’s when we’re out and about. We stop for food or fuel and go to crank it up, the starter don’t stop. I have to hit/tap the starter solenoid with the end of a screw driver or whatever’s handy. I recently replaced the starter solenoid and battery. It did it again, so I was thinking the new battery wasn’t charged enough, so I put the trickle charger on and it hasn’t returned. My 2cents. I did buy a lawn tractor solenoid at Lowe’s. Model#490-250-M015. About $15.
Stay safe out there and enjoy.
DavidO
WolverneX

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this happen a couple of months ago. I traced it rt to solenoid, replaced it and it was fixed. I'm in the middle of a bunch of work (non electrical) and it just did it again. Battery was new this year. I might add that the bike hasnt even been off the jack since I replaced the 1st one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
I had this happen a couple of months ago. I traced it rt to solenoid, replaced it and it was fixed. I'm in the middle of a bunch of work (non electrical) and it just did it again. Battery was new this year. I might add that the bike hasnt even been off the jack since I replaced the 1st one. Any ideas?
Has the battery been charged?? New battery this year--off the shelf or did you activate it
by putting the acid in than charging??
Welded starter relay contacts usually due to weak battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought the battery from Batteries Plus. They said they would activate it and for me to fully charge before install. Did that. I did have to try it several times after putting tank back on to get air out of fuel system but not enough to drag battery down that much...I wouldnt think anyway. I ordered another one but now I'm wondering if I shouldnt order a backup. I live rural and the closest dealer is 40 miles away. Cant believe they're that finicky.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
I bought a Batteries Plus battery once, died after 14 months. Never again. Install a small voltmeter on your X. Several stators and Rectifier/Regulators have expired. I am on my second replacement for both. OEM is a shunting(shorting) R/R.. My new R/R is a series regulator. Me and my electrons.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got a 2006 C I bought new on April 1st 2008. I have experienced most of the issues we all see in this forum. For me it was early on when I experienced the starter running constantly. I finally figured out that a starter relay for a lawn tractor worked great. Since then I discovered that an old Ford relay from the 60s or 70s was the perfect solution. Fits in the same spot with a little simple modifications you can jump start easier should you need to and you will never have trouble with it again. You can move on to the starter switch issues, the grounding issues, the safety switch issues but most of all you can ride with that stupid grin on your face just like the first time you ever twisted the throttle. You know that grin. When you pass people they wonder what the hell you are smiling about. Only a VTX rider knows the answer to that question. 118,000 miles of smiles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hard to mess it up. Large gauge wire from the battery to the relay. Large gauge wire from the relay to the starter. Small gauge wire to the small terminal of the relay. I had to make connectors to attach the stock wires to the larger terminals. All the wires are under the left side cover. I just went out and took the side cover off. I still have the riding lawn mower starter relay on mine. I put the Ford relay om a friends bike several years ago. I will try to find the pat number for the riding lawn mower relay. I bought it at our local auto parts store. I think the lawn mower relay was a little easier to make fit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
this is the one that is on my bike. Solenoid I put it on my bike in 2009. You will have to make new connectors to make it fit right. Pretty simple conversion.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
this is the one that is on my bike. Solenoid I put it on my bike in 2009. You will have to make new connectors to make it fit right. Pretty simple conversion.
The link you provided is a single wire terminal.
Anytime you push starter switch,it will crank with IGN switch On.

Did you use a double terminal to be compatible with the Ground line safety??
Neutral start or kick stand UP in gear...
Stens Starter Solenoid 435-435

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry! Just got back from a ride. I grounded the solenoid. It was designed that way. If I remember I was able to find that solenoid at my local Ace Hardware. I rode today with my friend that got the Ford solenoid. He said I found it on a shelf in my garage. My memory is fading fast. You can get those solenoids with a ground terminal if you want. When I was researching my options I ran across a solenoid that looked just like ours but was listed for a Suzuki 4 wheeler. My buddy reminded me that I had already replaced the solenoid once before. I learned that if you let your battery run low it will cause the contacts in the solenoid to weld themselves together and will turn the starter until the battery runs dry.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Several mower starter relays have been used, only can remember one failing.
You will have to change terminals or make an adapter wire.
I try not to cut OEM wiring.
The Suzuki starter relay looks like honda relay, less cost from fleabay, possible other sources.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts