Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jumped on and got a single click when hitting the starter button. I tried a few more times and nothing. I changed the battery and now I'm getting nothing. Not not even a click. I cleaned up the ground in front of the ECM and will get to the ground under the tank tomorrow. The starter is not getting any juice. The starter fuse on the right side of the bike is hot and fuse is good. The switch is hot when pushing the starter button.
Any other ideas out there. . . ???

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The starter just has one cable going to it. So I would assume that this is the positive and the negative is going through the frame?

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
There's only a couple of things between the battery and the starter. There is the starter button, the clutch switch, the tilt sensor, side stand switch, neutral switch, stop/kill switch, and the starter solenoid. All of the switches mentioned before the solenoid must be closed in order for the solenoid to pull in. It sounds to me that the solenoid was at least clicking, so I'd start with, assuming the neutral light is on, and the kill switch to run, you should get power to the solenoid windings. If you are and it's not pulling in, then you'll need a new solenoid. If not, the next place to start is to verify the various switches. It's nit unheard of for a wire to come loose, so you'll have to chase the power. I'm attaching a wiring diagram for a first Gen 1800.

NSR_1800C_ELECTRICAL.jpg

Start by chasing the power. If you have questions, post back.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Check the push button switch. Contacts are tiny, clean with steel wool.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
The Starter Switch is a common failure point.
Clean and lube usually fixes it. Sometimes some plastic has to be trimmed.

Put tranny in neutral. Place a screwdriver across the studs/cable lugs. Arcs & Sparks
but starter motor should turn over.

Fuse D provides power to Starter Relay +12v Yellow/Red wire.

Green/Red on the Starter relay gets a ground from the Neutral switch OR
the Kick Stand switch UP, via Clutch switch(safety)

Corrosion on one push on terminal prevented the starter relay from
operating on one 1800.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The starter is still pushing. I hooked up alligator clip wire positive directly from the battery to the starter. So that’s been ruled out and so has the ground issue since I did not do an alligator wire for the negative.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Thanks for the advise, but I mentioned in the original post that the starter switch was hot when I pressed it.
Poor connection in the Starter Switch contacts -- the Headlight current goes through it.
The 5 amps of current with dirt and grease make a resistor and heat is a common
by-product. That is how plastic deforms, causing switch failure..
That is why Starter Switch clean&lube is performed.
Many trouble reports on this switch.. Rattlebars wrote the repair.
Look in the Step by Step board..

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Starter Switch is a common failure point.
Clean and lube usually fixes it. Sometimes some plastic has to be trimmed.

Put tranny in neutral. Place a screwdriver across the studs/cable lugs. Arcs & Sparks
but starter motor should turn over.

Fuse D provides power to Starter Relay +12v Yellow/Red wire.

Green/Red on the Starter relay gets a ground from the Neutral switch OR
the Kick Stand switch UP, via Clutch switch(safety)

Corrosion on one push on terminal prevented the starter relay from
operating on one 1800.

Fuse D? I checked the fuse box on the right side of the bike from the original post. There is a 10A fuse there that is good and it is getting power.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poor connection in the Starter Switch contacts -- the Headlight current goes through it.
by-product. That is how some plastic deforms.
Ok, I’ll try Rattlebars repair next.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
by-product. That is how plastic deforms, causing switch failure..
I did the Rattlebar repair. Still no worky. I'll look at the kickstand switch next. So, to keep it organized . . . . I've checked . . .
1. Starter is good.
2. Starter fuse is good and getting juice.
3. Starter button cleaned and is good
4. New battery
5. No grounding issue.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Is your neutral light on?
Try this video, on a 1300 but same on 1800. If your relay is clicking with the start switch and the starter turns when the relay contacts are shorted then likely the relay is bad.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Suggest testing to see if the circuit going to and coming from the starter solenoid is good. If you have a volt-ohm meter set it on volts DC, unplug the yellow/red and the green/red from the solenoid and plug in the meter leads. Ignition on and press the start button. You should get 12-13VDC on you meter. If no meter, find a pigtail socket with a tail light bulb or something similar and do the same test. The bulb should light.

Reactions: dud-57

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is your neutral light on?
Try this video, on a 1300 but same on 1800. If your relay is clicking with the start switch and the starter turns when the relay contacts are shorted then likely the relay is bad.

Neutral light on, kick stand up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Suggest testing to see if the circuit going to and coming from the starter solenoid is good. If you have a volt-ohm meter set it on volts DC, unplug the yellow/red and the green/red from the solenoid and plug in the meter leads. Ignition on and press the start button. You should get 12-13VDC on you meter. If no meter, find a pigtail socket with a tail light bulb or something similar and do the same test. The bulb should light.
Where is the solenoid found? Right now I am getting nothing. Not even a click. I’ll check the kickstand switch in the morning.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Where is the solenoid found? Right now I am getting nothing. Not even a click. I’ll check the kickstand switch in the morning.
The solenoid is behind the left side cover, directly below your seat.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Kickstand switch, clutch switch, is irrelevant if your neutral light is on. Bike doesn't care about those things in neutral. Follow what is in the video and see what you get.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kickstand switch, clutch switch, is irrelevant if your neutral light is on. Bike doesn't care about those things in neutral. Follow what is in the video and see what you get.
I did what the video said. It started up and smoked a WHOLE LOT from around the battery!!! So it's a bad solenoid?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts