Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 VTXR 1800. Failed to crank. I do not have a PC-3. I'm using the trouble shooting guide in the shop manual. Switch is good and have voltage at the starter relay. Battery ground connection good. I do not have continuity at the green/red wire like I should with the bike in neutral. Looks like it should get it from the ECM but none on that pole under the connection from the ECM. At a loss when dealing with the ECM. Helpful suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
I did the ground fix years ago, guess I will do it again just to be sure.
That is something that can be done more than once. Oxidation never sleeps.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The green/red starts it's journey by going to the clutch switch first (under clutch lever). I would check there for a connector that's pulled loose or is a loose fit. From there it becomes a green/white and connects to the side stand switch. From there to frame ground. Will the bike start with the side stand up and the clutch lever pulled in? You can also disconnect the green/red from the starter relay and replace it with a temporary wire going directly to frame ground. See if the bike cranks. Also, the green/red connects to a diode in the fuse box. Then to the neutral light and to the neutral switch. With the bike in neutral are you getting a green light on the dash?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The starter switch is the most common failure.
Is the Battery voltage good to the starter relay post when starter switch operated.
If you have battery voltage on Green/Red wire when in Neutral and Starter switch is pushed in, ground is missing.
Verify by grounding G/R wire on Starter relay.
https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/1800-starter-relay-ckt-png.129732/

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
... Failed to crank...Switch is good and have voltage at the starter relay...
I assume when you say you have voltage at the starter relay you can see it cycle on and off with the start switch.

Assuming the above, do you hear or feel the start relay click, you should. If no sound good chance the relay is bad. Once switch power is getting to the relay and the relay energizes there are no other control signals involved connecting the battery to the starter. The starter relay is just a master switch between the battery and starter, heavy cable direct from battery to relay, heavy cable direct from relay to starter. High current from the battery should be applied thru the relay to the starter. To check the relay disconnect either the battery or starter terminal on the relay. Put an ohmeter across the relay terminals, with switch pushed the contacts should short to "0" ohms, open high megohms when switch not pressed. If relay does not respond both ways with complete open and complete closed, the relay is bad.

If the relay is turning on and off with switch control then battery power should be going to the starter. For me the best way to check the 12V high current system is to manually short across the start relay contacts, the bike should crank. This checks the amp capacity of the battery, battery terminal connections, battery to frame ground connection.

1300 Video below, part locations different, but concept and procedure is the same.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that write up. Yes the switch is good and power at relay cycles with switch depression. Relay does not click as it should. The ground that should be at the other wire does not exist. Will do ground fix again when I have time. Thinking that missing that ground is the problem.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If the transmission is in neutral and the N light is lit but you have no ground at the green/red wire (you should see 12V on it then with starter switch depressed), I'd say a break in the circuit somewhere, including a possibly bad diode in the diode pack.
You will need to find where the circuit is broken and repair that wire (or diode).
Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Remove the G/R wire and put a real Ground on the Starter Relay.
Verify that transmission is in Neutral. See what happens.
One time oxidation between the pin on the Starter Relay and the push-on terminal
caused an open.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Take a look at the ground connection on the starter itself, it could be loose? Also the starter switch contacts could be failing...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry been really busy and have not had time to work on it. Its a second bike so not a must have right now. Hope to do the ground connection check. I think I did try the direct ground to the left pole and did no good. So that indicated maybe two problems. Jezz! I will update the outcome.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so I put a ground to the left side of relay and nothing. Then put power from the batt to the other side, just over 12v to now each side of relay. I get nothing except a small spark, so guess I will order a relay.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
To check the relay disconnect either the battery or starter terminal on the relay. Put an ohmeter across the relay terminals, with switch pushed the contacts should short to "0" ohms, open high megohms when switch not pressed. If relay does not respond both ways with complete open and complete closed, the relay is bad.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes! Took the relay out and still could not get it to click. Got a new relay at the local Honda shop and I installed and now it cranks. Have not buttoned up and test rode yet but guessing all will be fine. Thanks for all replies and the interest in helping me solve this problem,

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Well that was an easy fix!
Good job on the trouble shooting.
And thank you for the follow-up, it might help another member in the future. (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts