Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone direct me to the starter switch fix? I think it was originally posted on a Valkyrie or Goldwing site, but applies to the "X". A lot of us have had starting and running problems this year (including myself). Also a lot of them seem to be related to the 03s they sold last year that were sitting in the box for so long. I've done the complete ground fix (plus I ran a extra ground line from the front coil to where the secondary air unit connected to the frame) new plugs, getting a new battery and at this point the only thing I can think of is the starter switch (maybe the connection to the starter itself?)...I'm running out of ideas :cry: ...but optimistic the battery and starter switch clean-up will do the trick...If I ever figure this out I'll post my results. JB 8)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don't know what the official fix is but this is what mine was doing and this is how I fixed it:

Problem- Intermittant problems with starting the bike. Sometimes I had to press the start button numerous times to get the starter to engage. Most of those times, when the engine started, the headlight would not come on. I could put the headlight on high beam (so I would know when it came on without getting off of the bike) and click the switch a couple of times with the bike running and the the headlight would come on (as would the high beam indicator).

Fix- I bought a can of Corrosion-X and sprayed it in the switch housing (from the button side). I then actuated the switch (key off) numerous times. I then sprayed the switch again. That was over 8 months ago. I have had no problems since.

If you have trouble finding Corrosion-X, try a boat shop. I found mine at Walmart. It beats the socks off of WD-40

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought my problem was the starter switch but it turns out the recall for my '02 X1800 did the trick. In case you missed it, the washer and bolt on the kickstand are what was causing the problem. Something about the alloy allowing the parts to "warp" and signal the computer that the kickstand was down. Since they changed it out I haven't had any more stalls nor trouble starting. Hope this might help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I pulled the starter apart tonight and the connections looked pretty clean, but I cleaned em anyway just to be safe. FYI if you try this there is a little spring in the starter, little bastard popped out and I almost lost it! Anyway, still having the problem...so now I'm guessing it's the battery...if that ain't it..AAAARRRGGGHH!!! JB

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
JB40hz said:
Thanks for the responses. I pulled the starter apart tonight and the connections looked pretty clean, but I cleaned em anyway just to be safe. FYI if you try this there is a little spring in the starter, little bastard popped out and I almost lost it! Anyway, still having the problem...so now I'm guessing it's the battery...if that ain't it..AAAARRRGGGHH!!! JB
I can't find my friggen manual at the moment so I can't look at the schematic but... it seems to me that the switch isn't stout enough to handle the current that the starter draws. In fact I know it isn't. That means that there is a starter relay. Sometimes, but I'm not sure in this case, the coil power to a relay is fused. It's fused because a coil can, over time, short out, sometimes to ground, and that would be just nasty as hell if you pushed the button and it shorted to ground. That said, have you checked all of your fuses or the relay? If the relay isn't energizing you can chase the problem to something between the battery and the switch or the switch and the relay.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
veetex said:
if this ain't it, it's around there somewhere
http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html
Yep, that's the fix I put on mine. Actually, with only 2000 miles on the bike, it was more of fact-finding mission. My contacts, since almost new, were easy to clean up and lube with the silicone gel, the problem was, I was too easy on the plastic case and only got two sides latched while reinstalling. So, days later, I go to start, and nothing. Hmmm. I took it back apart, and saw the plate at an angle. This time I used needle-nosed pliers, made sure that all 4 tabs were locked in place...works great! 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts