Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 VTX 1800R. I was out yesterday for about an hour. I stopped at a store for a few minutes, and when I went to fire it up, I got my fuel pump sound, but nothing else. My headlights did not come on with the ignition switch and pushing the starter switch got nothing. After MUCH screwing around, I took the advice of a local Honda tech and turned on the ignition and bridged the terminals on the solenoid. THAT STARTED HER UP, but I still had no headlights and it acted the same when I tried to start up again (at the safety of my own home). Also, my odometer reset itself. I just took apart the switch and the spring behind one of the contacts is MELTED to the body of the switch. I could not remove the spring, so I brushed off the contacts and replaced the contact so that it would touch the other contacts when pressed. It worked, but the switch sticks and must be wiggled to retract. Two Q's: What causes this? Can I just replace that switch mechanism? Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just had to replace my switch housing because of the same problem. Not melted, but it just stopped making contact. Even cleaning them up didn't work. The replacement is very easy and takes about 45 mins. The stealer only sells the entire switch housing, bout $80.00 the wiring is all plug and play in the headlight housing, the hardest part is getting your hands inside the bucket to feed the switch wiring through the back of the headlight. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had the same problem. I was able to get a replacement switch from HDL parts for about $55. It was nice because it came with the chrome and everything for the right side housing. As for the odometer resetting, I found that my solenoid was going bad and hence was the culprit for that. I was going to get one straight from Honda but I followed the advice of fellow members and bought a tractor solenoid from lowes for a fraction of the cost. I had to do a little soldering for the wire harness but it fit perfectly. The bike runs like a top now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not going to have that problem...ever.

I'm going to install a spring-loaded push-button switch, add a 10A fuse between the source voltage and the switch, and then spice the load wire into the R/Y wire coming out of the top of the starter relay switch (some call it a solenoid). The second and third switch wires go to +12V and Ground. When I depress the button, +12V goes to the relay input and energizes it just like the OEM starter button does. I'll mount this "auxiliary" starter button on my left side cover and use it as my primary starter button. If it ever fails, I can revert back to the OEM starter button on the bars and start her up. Or maybe I use the OEM button and use the auxiliary button as a back-up. Either way, if either ever fails, I can always start her.:lol:

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
I'm not going to have that problem...ever.

I'm going to install a spring-loaded push-button switch, add a 10A fuse between the source voltage and the switch, and then spice the load wire into the R/Y wire coming out of the top of the starter relay switch (some call it a solenoid). The second and third switch wires go to +12V and Ground. When I depress the button, +12V goes to the relay input and energizes it just like the OEM starter button does. I'll mount this "auxiliary" starter button on my left side cover and use it as my primary starter button. If it ever fails, I can revert back to the OEM starter button on the bars and start her up. Or maybe I use the OEM button and use the auxiliary button as a back-up. Either way, if either ever fails, I can always start her.:lol:
When you do this mod please post some pics and instructions on how you did it. This falls in the catagory of one of those fail safe preventative maintenence mods. At some point in time I could see myself having this done just as a matter of peace of mind.

·
Registered
286 Posts
When you do this mod please post some pics and instructions on how you did it. This falls in the catagory of one of those fail safe preventative maintenence mods. At some point in time I could see myself having this done just as a matter of peace of mind.

Will do. I can do it in an hour or so. Maybe this weekend.8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts