Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on the last leg of a ride stopped at the town center went into the store and when I came out my bike wouldn't start. I pop started it to get it home. It's a 2005 vtx1800F. I've done all the standard tests. The starter relay wasn't clicking and I had replaced it before and jumped the gun and replaced that right away to find out that I actually had a bad ignition button on the handle bars. I replaced that now the relay clicks when I push the button but still no start? The diode tests fine. The fuses all are good the engine stop relay tests good? All tests according to the book are good and if I jump the starter relay the bike starts which tells me the starter is fine. Ideas? I'm at a loss on this one?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
If the relay is clicking, and the bike turns over when you short across the relay terminals, then I'd say the relay is bad. It is receiving the control signal from the start switch to energize but it is not closing the contacts in the relay, probably burnt contacts in the relay..

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you want to try another relay, let me know. I've got one here you can try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I.just swapped out an old starter relay I had that I thought was bad but was actually ok and my bike fired right up! The new starter relay I just installed was junk. I guess buying aftermarket doesn't pay at all! All that time I spent trying to chase the problem, thanks guys! Big help!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yes, it has to be a good quality mag. switch. The 'control side' has to be well made because there is not an abundance of amperage coming from that push button start switch. Look how tiny the wires are. There are satisfactory replacements but, you can't go wrong with OEM.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Old Goat
25,376 Posts
Repeat after me...OEM

·
Registered
395 Posts
It comes down to the solenoid buy cheap one works just as well lawn mower shop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts