Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Home Depot today and as long as i was there figured I would pick up the screws to install the pepsx bracket.

The instructions on this board say 'Drill pilot holes and then use three 8-18x34 self drilling metal screws to secure the bracket' but I can not find this size.

I saw self drilling screws for metal but nothing that had those numbers on it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Dan from Pepsx told me to use #6 self drilling. My Stebel arrived today. Adding it this weekend. Let me know how yours goes.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
#6, 3/4" long work, or 1" long. the swing arm is hollow.

·
Registered
647 Posts
pepsX said:
I would also assume stainless steel would be best.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BG-Pete said:
Dan from Pepsx told me to use #6 self drilling. My Stebel arrived today. Adding it this weekend. Let me know how yours goes.
The whole process wan't overly involved. I used my lift to raise the bike for ease of installing the bracket.

I followed the instructions that came with the horn and used the wires that were supplied. I disconnected the old horn and ran those wires up and under the tank. I stored the relay and excess wires in the side cover.

Total elapsed time was about 2 hours which included a 30 minute break for dinner.

I tested the horn and am satisfied with the sound.

This morning as I pulled into the parking lot at work I gave it a blast and one of the attendants asked when I changed the horn and could I install one on his bike too?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
BG-Pete said:
pepsX said:
I would also assume stainless steel would be best.
well, welding it on would be the best, but a close second would be SS screws :D
but the standard everyday plated screws will work just fine too, probaby out last the life of the bike.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Finally did the project yesterday. Abba352, I could not hit the 2 hour mark if my life depended on it. I can handle a screw driver, but my god. I think it took me 5. First time using my jack and stand. Took a while to find the right balancing point. And since I was doing this alone, it took a little effort to keep everything level and wheels down. But the Pepsx is incredible. Good work Dan.

Then figuring out where the bracket was going to go and which way the horn was going to face. I almost drilled into the shaft drive housing. Things are pretty tight under there. I managed to get the screws and bracket installed after drilling a couple of bad sites. I actually used #8's.

After that it was a snap. I think I had the wiring done, seat re-installed in a little over an hour.

Horn sounds great. Of course the beagle doesn't like it. Too bad for the beagle (it's the wife's dog anyway).

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
now the fun part...finding out how many cats can you make fly. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BG-Pete said:
Finally did the project yesterday. Abba352, I could not hit the 2 hour mark if my life depended on it. I can handle a screw driver, but my god. I think it took me 5. First time using my jack and stand. Took a while to find the right balancing point. And since I was doing this alone, it took a little effort to keep everything level and wheels down. But the Pepsx is incredible. Good work Dan.
I bought the stand from Dan years ago when it was first introduced so I have no problem with it although I still struggle a bit with the Sears jack, in fact my Goldwing is on the stand it as I am having my rear tire repaired.

Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
647 Posts
pepsX said:
now the fun part...finding out how many cats can you make fly. :D

:lol: Now that's a thought! Between the cats and the squirrels, my neighborhood can get fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.