Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this isn't a crazy question.. but I need to get it off my mind...(sometimes when I'm bored I worry to much about things!):shock:
How often should a person check the steering bearings... and swingarm bearings...My bike has about 11,200 miles on it and I've never checked either one according to the service manual..(The bike seems to steer lock to lock smoothly) and the only thing I did was check that the steering stem nut was torqued to 76ft lbs. Wouldn't a person notice an obvious wobble in either the rear tire or front if there was a problem with the steering bearings or swingarm? :? ....I know I know.. I need to get to bed; these questions have been asked over and over again I'm sure... I'm just tired!:lol:

Thanks in advance for any information.

G

·
I think they call for 8 to 10k on the stearing bearrings, but who wants to tear the front end apart every 8 to 10k, just put in the tapered bearrings and you dont have to worry about it for about 25k. My OEM bearrings only lasted 8 to 10k and had to be replaced, two sets. And then I put the tapered in and that was almost 30k ago, and I havent touched them since.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wayne said:
I think they call for 8 to 10k on the stearing bearrings, but who wants to tear the front end apart every 8 to 10k, just put in the tapered bearrings and you dont have to worry about it for about 25k. My OEM bearrings only lasted 8 to 10k and had to be replaced, two sets. And then I put the tapered in and that was almost 30k ago, and I havent touched them since.
Wow!... I didn't realize that the bearings were that bad!....As far as my bike goes, I haven't noticed any wobble or anything...maybe I'll get lucky and they'll last me a long time..!

G

·
On my second set I didnt have the wobble, but I could feel at 8k they were going bad. It was ppushing in the corrners. My wife wouldnt ride my bike, it handled so bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts