Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all and Happy New Year! I know this a repedative question but I tried to find this on another thread bet to no avail. I want to replace my steering head bearings but don't want to replace them with the stock bearing and have the same wobble as before. If I remember right someone said to replace the stock bearing with 1800 bearings. If so what is the stock number for the bearings and how hard is it to replace? The stealer quoted me just under 400 bucks. This sounds a little steep for this. Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
877 Posts
vtxcafe has instructions on how to replace the bearings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently spoke with the service dept at a local stealer and was quoted 2.5 hours of labor (~$200), so $400 seems high - even if it includes the price of new bearings. For what it's worth, I also asked for a quote to install progressive springs and was quoted 4 hours to do both at the same time ($330).

·
Registered
877 Posts
i installed progressive springs in about 30 minutes.not that hard at all.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently spoke with the service dept at a local stealer and was quoted 2.5 hours of labor (~$200), so $400 seems high - even if it includes the price of new bearings. For what it's worth, I also asked for a quote to install progressive springs and was quoted 4 hours to do both at the same time ($330).
I did the springs myself.. 30-45 minutes.

I had someone do the all balls bearings. Going off memory my front tire and the installation of the ft was around 400 bucks and that included the cost of the front tire (I purchased the bearings but never got around to installing!) Check your local forum... There are a few guys out there that will do it at a tech meeting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Springs and bearings are on sale at DLP. Do both while it's apart. Flush and put in 10w fork oil, 15.5oz each fork. Do a search and find that there is lots written on how-to. I just finished that part of my winter mods today. Used tools that I had on hand. The hard part? Taking off the stereo, windshield, and being a R model, one fork has to come off before the fender will come off. Then the fork covers. I did it alone and my advice is... get help. So I saved 3 - 4 hundred? Cool.:D bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Update

Update: Took the bike in today and settled on 3 hrs of labor to replace springs and bearings. I agree with doing it yourself if you have the time, tools, and a warm garage. That said - there is some peace of mind knowing that an experienced mechanic that I trust will be doing the work. Aren't we supposed to be spreading the wealth around:yikes:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Update: Took the bike in today and settled on 3 hrs of labor to replace springs and bearings. I agree with doing it yourself if you have the time, tools, and a warm garage. That said - there is some peace of mind knowing that an experienced mechanic that I trust will be doing the work. Aren't we supposed to be spreading the wealth around:yikes:
Many on this board have posted stories of poor work done by trained mechanics. Just because someone goes to school and is taught to perform a task, that doesn't make them an expert. Many garage mechanics have done better work and fixed VTX problems long before the Honda Techs ever got around to it. The hardest part about chaning out steering neck bearings is taking off all the accesories. Unless the race is scared, you won't need to change it. The bearings themselves may not be damaged, but the plastic ball cage may be the problem culprit.

Dr X

1 - 10 of 10 Posts