Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I've been needing to change my steering head bearings for a long time now. So a while ago I started Ordering some of the things I thought I would need. I ordered an all balls kit and a few tools that might make the job easier.

I ordered this motion pro socket because it showed up as equivalent to the Honda part # for the steering stem socket in the service manual. well it arrived today and its so small I don't see how this could be the right tool for the job. I haven't taken anything apart on the bike yet but I went and grabbed the Bearing kit that I have sitting in my tool box and this socket looks like it will slide through the inner race of the bearing.

My question is what have you guys used to do this job and how did you torque it down after install?

·
Old Goat
25,398 Posts
U will need to use 1800 torque/install procedure....someone can provide them..I dont have a copy on the ipad....also a 1 11/16 inch socket will work....I too found this out after I bought the castle nut socket...good luck

PS..hardest part of the job is getting the stuff out of the way....for what its worth i made a harness and suspended the headlight assembly ...didnt see the need to undo all that chit...good luck

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also a 1 11/16 inch socket will work....
I'm getting ready to order one of these Sockets.
Does it matter if its 6 or 12 point? Also does it need to be deep wall or will a standard one do?

·
Old Goat
25,398 Posts

Reactions: Slatroni

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also does it need to be deep wall or will a standard one do?

·
Old Goat
25,398 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Old Goat
25,398 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I would love to have some one who had done it before come over and walk me through it. But that doesn't seem to be something people are interested in these days.

·
Old Goat
25,398 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No its not that tight. I just hate returning stuff that I bought on line its such a pain. Im goint to have to return that motion pro socket.

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
My socket tangs/tabs are 1-5/8" from inside to inside tangs/tabs(oppsite). 1300 1800 Stem procedure in Step by Step - VTX steering stem 1800, 1300 upgrade....

Attachments

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I also made (fabbed) my own socket for the job. It's in Boise so I can't check the size I started with. Motion Pro is not difficult on returns. Tip: Make sure the new outer races are FULLY seated before reassembly. Otherwise you'll pay hell trying to get adjustment right.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I also made (fabbed) my own socket for the job. It's in Boise so I can't check the size I started with. Motion Pro is not difficult on returns. Tip: Make sure the new outer races are FULLY seated before reassembly. Otherwise you'll pay hell trying to get adjustment right.
Thanks! I really wish I had a welder If I did I wouldn't mind sacrificing a Socket to make my own. I did end up ordering the one from DHS Racing that Mr VTX Suggested. I have to say that guy at DHS Racing was on the ball! I emailed Daniel Sherburne on Tuesday August 4th at 7pm eastern & at 8am on the 5th I had a paypal request from him and I received the socket this afternoon 08/07/2020. From San Diego all the way to Tampa, FL.

I pretty sure that I have the Race Driving tool for this job as well. Here's hoping I don't run into any unforeseen issues this weekend.

And if anyone in the Tampa/ Brandon area wants to come over and help wrench on the bike they are more than welcome to hit me up.

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Thanks! I really wish I had a welder If I did I wouldn't mind sacrificing a Socket to make my own. I did end up ordering the one from DHS Racing that Mr VTX Suggested. I have to say that guy at DHS Racing was on the ball! I emailed Daniel Sherburne on Tuesday August 4th at 7pm eastern & at 8am on the 5th I had a paypal request from him and I received the socket this afternoon 08/04/2020. From San Diego all the way to Tampa, FL.

I pretty sure that I have the Race Driving tool for this job as well. Here's hoping I don't run into any unforeseen issues this weekend.

And if anyone in the Tampa/ Brandon area wants to come over and help wrench on the bike they are more than welcome to hit me up.
I received the same great, fast service...it's nie when that happens! (y)

·
Old Goat
25,398 Posts
It aint rocket science......good luck

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I would call it a success! The bottom outer race was pretty tough to get out using race puller that I have and when I got it out the metal behind the race was pretty marred up. (Not from the Race Puller) There were some very sharp edges so I had to take a file to knock them down. But everything went back together alright. I took it for a quick test ride around the block and for the 1st time since 2007 I was able to take my hands off the handlebars without the front end jumping all over the place. I also replaced the front wheel bearings while I had it all apart. Now the bike should be ready for the tail of the dragon In October.

·
Registered
242 Posts
looks like you did it!

i too got a tool made with a socket and pipe cut to match the notches...

i just finally post my video of it after doing it last three years ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts