Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There has been much debate and feelings were hurt over steering head bearings; but this thread is always entertaining to read/reread.

·
Old Goat
25,398 Posts
FYI...retorqueing the OEM is routine maintenance per manual...it would make sense it applies to replacements.... ✌

Reactions: Blast and rangers4u

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
There has been much debate and feelings were hurt over steering head bearings; but this thread is always entertaining to read/reread.
The 1300 stem bearing torque is 15 ft-lbs.
That is for seating the bearings and the final torque on page 13-22, 13-23 of the 03-04 1300 SM.

1800 uses 30 ft-lbs to seat the bearings and a final 12ft-lbs. page 13-36; 13-37.

Honda gives you the bearing pre-load figure if you want to check it,
but I suspect Honda has figured out using the final torque figure puts it in the middle
of the pre-load range.

A proper pre-load test would be without the forks, wheel, etc.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah I might have gone a little past 15 ft pounds when I initially seated the bearing because there was almost no click or tactile response from the torque wrench I was using. But then I backed it off and went real gentle on it while playing that song "soft hand" in the back ground. I had to borrow that 3/8s torque wrench from my neighbor. It was an old harbor freight one from Pittsburgh. If/when I get my own I'm going to try to find a digital one that makes a beep so that there is less human error.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts