Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several posts about the steering stem bearing problem and how to replace the bearings but I am curious if anyone has taken their bike to a shop to have these replaced instead of doing them themselves? I have decent mechanical capabilities but I do not have many tools and not much time with my work schedule to take on this task. If you have taken your X to a shop for the bearing issue, How much did is cost you in labor and about how many labor hours should I expect to get charged for if I were to take it in? Thanks for any info and help.

·
Registered
31,256 Posts
I know there are several posts about the steering stem bearing problem and how to replace the bearings but I am curious if anyone has taken their bike to a shop to have these replaced instead of doing them themselves? I have decent mechanical capabilities but I do not have many tools and not much time with my work schedule to take on this task. If you have taken your X to a shop for the bearing issue, How much did is cost you in labor and about how many labor hours should I expect to get charged for if I were to take it in? Thanks for any info and help.
Total cost $302.00
bearing was $32.00

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is this something that will have to be repeated again over time/mileage or is this a one time upgrade?

·
Registered
31,256 Posts
Is this something that will have to be repeated again over time/mileage or is this a one time upgrade?
I'm pretty sure, if you install tapered bearings that's it.

Others will be along to respond.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
the "All Balls" is an upgrade. from ball bearings to taper roller bearings... like in the 1800.. almost a lifetime replacement..

how about a Tech Session.. in your area.... this spring/summer.... they help you and they have the tools... you provide the bearings and fork oil...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had mine done last year... Solid as a rock..
Installed new ones when I did the rake kit..seriously, if you have a 1300.. JUST do it :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The few times I've taken my bike to "the shop" I've unfailingly come to regret it. Get the bearings and oil and ask for help here. I know there are several guys near you that would be happy to help with the install. Look for a tech session nearby as well. If you can't find one come to Alabama in May and we'll get it done.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?509529-Bama-Tech-Session-May-16th-17th

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Take it to a dealer ??????? Not recommended , you will get it back with a big bill and was it done right, remember bike shops and dealers work on everything in Generl.
Why don't you go to a tech session and do it yourself with plenty of help that actually knows how to do them. Just get the All-Balls bearings ONLY !. Your cost , bearings, your time, meeting a lot of cool VTX riders, a good time, cookout with a donation to the host to help pay for e food. All that and its riding distance from your home in Kalsmazoo, mi. In June. This is a 3 day event, some arive on Friday with a ride to a local pub for food in the evening, saturday tech session and Sunday breckfast and a local ride.
An are for tenting and motels available. One day of fun .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts