Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They say "the best laid plans of mice and men...."

Instead of spending September in Canada it looks like I'll be spending it in Savannah, GA.

During sea trials to prove the rebuilt engines were OK for the voyage we seized the starboard (right) one up. After some sleuthing by the mechanics that rebuilt and installed it and my engineers watching the circus, the owner has decided to pull the 20+ year old engines and put new Cats in.

We're going to trash the bad engine, remove and sell the good(?) engine and spend some quality time down in a hot, poorly ventilated engine room doing all sorts of pounding, welding, cutting, sweating, and swearing getting the boat ready for the yellow beasts (I'm sure Highlander will appreciate the tasks involved) as we evolve from Deutz 604s to Cat 3512Bs.

That means 3-4 months more in the yard.

In August and September.

In Savannah GA where the temps last week were 100+ for several days and the _real_ heat doesn't show up until next month. :shock:

And a road trip home to grab the ST. 8)

I miss riding so much I'm willing to pay the air fare to get back on the bike and spend some time riding in Georgia, Carolinas, and points outside Florida. There doesn't seem to be much bike activity here, at least at the watering holes I frequent and I've yet to see an SCRC patch anywhere. :(

I'm trying to work out a time to head to FTL on a Thursday to get the bike out of storage, battery charged, and on the road. Are you planning any rides in the next couple of weeks 'cuz it'be great to ride with you folks before the 450 mile ride to Savannah on that Sunday for work on Monday.

I'm also looking into getting a trailer hitch put on the Jeep and trailering :shock: the ST here so I have both a car and bike. Do any of you that have trailers have any suggestions?

Doug

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I guess you should stay down here for some time. :D
I've heard that in Georgia they take some 24/36 months to exchange engines on boats ( You lucky man!!! ). :lol: :lol: :lol:

The truth is : NICE HEAR FROM YOU !!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carioca said:
I've heard that in Georgia they take some 24/36 months to exchange engines on boats ( You lucky man!!! ). :lol: :lol: :lol:

You may be more correct than I thought. What started as a delivery in October has moved to November and now resides in December. Luckily that's 2007. The boat's on the hard now as we yank the other engine and then back in the water to sit until the 12-legged caterpillars arrive.

I'm looking forward to getting the bike. It looks very much like renting a car for a one way is lots cheaper than flying one way.

Doug

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
netdoug said:
Carioca said:

You may be more correct than I thought. What started as a delivery in October has moved to November and now resides in December. Luckily that's 2007. The boat's on the hard now as we yank the other engine and then back in the water to sit until the 12-legged caterpillars arrive.

I'm looking forward to getting the bike. It looks very much like renting a car for a one way is lots cheaper than flying one way.

Doug
Until you add the gas.

If you don't already have the engines, you may be waiting awhile. Cat is typically 3-8 months in production to get new engines.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Savannah sure is pretty but it's just as hot. I'd fly down and pick up the bike, if you're gonna be there that long i'd take advantage of the surrounding areas. You could also always rent one?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Just remember "No matter where you go, there you are"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts