Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the hell out of my VTX. It is a dream bike for me. It has enough power. I like the looks of the stock pipes on the F. The sound is fine. The power is fine (I had a '96 GPz 1100 that I rode hard for 8 seasons... and I left that all stock too).
I have no plans to modify anything. Am I the only one? What am I missing? Like I say, the power is fine. I don't need to squeeze every ounce of hp out of the throttle. I got that all out of me with my sport bikes.
Am I missing better gas mileage? I now read that K & N's cause engine wear, so I guess I'll leave the intake stock now too.
Enlighten me please.
Thanks,
Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Ain't a damn thing wrong or unnatural about keeping your bike stock. Sure, there are a zillion parts out there that many buy and install to either enhance the look, the peak output, usefulness or comfort of their VTX. To a very large degree, it's simply a means of individualizing or personalizing your ride. If you like it as it is right out of the crate, more power to you.

It's all about whatever floats your boat, my man. Customizing is a disease which has no end. Once you start....well, they know the rest. :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Nexpatch said:
I love the hell out of my VTX. It is a dream bike for me. It has enough power. I like the looks of the stock pipes on the F. The sound is fine. The power is fine (I had a '96 GPz 1100 that I rode hard for 8 seasons... and I left that all stock too).
I have no plans to modify anything. Am I the only one? What am I missing? Like I say, the power is fine. I don't need to squeeze every ounce of hp out of the throttle. I got that all out of me with my sport bikes.
Am I missing better gas mileage? I now read that K & N's cause engine wear, so I guess I'll leave the intake stock now too.
Enlighten me please.
Thanks,
Todd
Give it time. The X is kinda like drugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
I've done only two things to mine. I changed the headlight bulb to a Sylvania cool blue and got rid of the boat anchor Honda put on as a license plate holder. I have no interested in changing anything else as I think Honda did a hell of a job on design and execution of the 1300S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
silvervtx04s said:
I've done only two things to mine. I changed the headlight bulb to a Sylvania cool blue and got rid of the boat anchor Honda put on as a license plate holder. I have no interested in changing anything else as I think Honda did a hell of a job on design and execution of the 1300S.
1300....like pot,relaxing. 1800= BIKE ON CRACK 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
C O Jones said:
silvervtx04s said:
I've done only two things to mine. I changed the headlight bulb to a Sylvania cool blue and got rid of the boat anchor Honda put on as a license plate holder. I have no interested in changing anything else as I think Honda did a hell of a job on design and execution of the 1300S.
1300....like pot,relaxing. 1800= BIKE ON CRACK 8)
Thats Me!...laid back pot smoker........But I don't inhale.... :wink:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
63,774 Posts
Nexpatch said:
I love the hell out of my VTX. It is a dream bike for me. It has enough power. I like the looks of the stock pipes on the F. The sound is fine. The power is fine (I had a '96 GPz 1100 that I rode hard for 8 seasons... and I left that all stock too).
I have no plans to modify anything. Am I the only one? What am I missing? Like I say, the power is fine. I don't need to squeeze every ounce of hp out of the throttle. I got that all out of me with my sport bikes.
Am I missing better gas mileage? I now read that K & N's cause engine wear, so I guess I'll leave the intake stock now too.
Enlighten me please.
Thanks,
Todd
Then leave it that way. I say "Who cares what others do?" Also, don't read too much into that K&N thing. That has been going around since K&N was first introduced some 30 years ago. I've had K&Ns in all my vehicles since I started driving 2 of these cars went to 200,000 miles without any work having to be doine to the motors. No burning of oil, normal internal wear on my Toyota Celica when I tore that one down to add some power parts to it(cams..etc.). 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Unless you bought your bike as your primary transportation, your scoot is a representation of what you want to do, and who you are.

When these kinds of questions get asked, the pat answer is always "ride what you like", and of course, that sounds good. But if we were all honest, that's not what we're really thinking.

The truth is, anytime men gather, they compete, even if subconsiously.

In the biker world, the big measurement sticks are:

1. How good a wrench you are
2. How cool your bike looks, how original it is
3. The trump of all trumps - how many miles you make. Riders still rule for respect.
4. Clubs (for some)

Your bike is a canvas. How you paint it is a representation of you. Don't be lazy. Put some of you into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
633 Posts
Both my previous bikes I left stock other then comfort items, seat, grips etc.
My reason is simple, I spend all week working on my own equipment to make a living so on the weekends I just like to fire up the dependable honda and ride, I do add chrome and stuff :oops:

I do like to wrench but I can only do so much, the bike is for relaxing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,141 Posts
All that from Tapper Van Gogh ...Your canvas is looking pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
iv always believed stock sux, when honda, chevy, ford or anybody makes cars, trucks or motorcycles they use cheap parts, keeping the cost down and reliability are two big issues. but i also believe to many MODS and you lose the reliabilty.

all i ever do to my bikes and trucks is a performance intake and exhuast and maybe a performance chip. i leave the internal parts alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,231 Posts
Tapper said:
3. The trump of all trumps - how many miles you make. Riders still rule for respect.
So true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,117 Posts
I like Mods that make me more comfortable, and ones that are useful,well and cool also, and have noticed this age thing requires a few more changes, ie. Risers, brighter lights, better seats, more storage, and the list goes on,,, anything to help my poor joints,,,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,187 Posts
Tapper said:
Unless you bought your bike as your primary transportation, your scoot is a representation of what you want to do, and who you are.

When these kinds of questions get asked, the pat answer is always "ride what you like", and of course, that sounds good. But if we were all honest, that's not what we're really thinking.

The truth is, anytime men gather, they compete, even if subconsiously.

In the biker world, the big measurement sticks are:

1. How good a wrench you are
2. How cool your bike looks, how original it is
3. The trump of all trumps - how many miles you make. Riders still rule for respect.
4. Clubs (for some)

Your bike is a canvas. How you paint it is a representation of you. Don't be lazy. Put some of you into it.
Well put!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,443 Posts
Its the hotrod factor when you were a kid i think

I always was messing with my bicycles and such... building go carts and I just like to mess with shit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
seems to me age has alot to do with being comfortable on a bike. when your 20 years old a chopper is very comfortable bike but when your 50 a chopper is totallly out of the question for more than 15 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the feedback you guys.
I'll just ride it. Play it by ear. I'll keep this unit for a looooong time.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top