Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 1800c and it was brought to my attention that the bushings in the stock shock mounts are rubber. I took off the bolts on my shocks and seen how loose they were. You might want to check yours and replace them with urethane bushings. I bought mine from Daryl Hoksbergen that is a machinist who makes them himself. E-mail him at [email protected] :!:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Shock bushings

www.rattlebars.com has a link to a supplier on his site that sells urethane bushings for the X. I have had them on my bike over a year and a half and they still aren't out of round or crushed. Worth the money in my opinion. 8)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Here is the link to Gary who also makes them that Sideways referenced.

http://www.rattlebars.com/cart/bushings.html

These are the ones I bought, have not got them installed yet. They were $7.50 ea shipped, need two per shock. Gary has been making them for quite some time for Valkries & VTX's. I had not heard of Daryl prior to your post.

Burglar, Good post for a reminder to all of us and I have to get mine done. Thanks
Jim...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for this reminder. With 24.000 miles on my Retro, I figured mine might need replacing so I just ordered two sets. 8)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Daryl has been making them for his Valkrie group also. He does it in his garage out of solid stock urethane, it was neat to watch. My wifes 06 1300 retro needs them replaced already. Her bike has less than 5000 miles. Any where you get them is great, just look at doing it soon. Metal shocks hitting metal supports don't feel real good. :)

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
shock bushings

I checked mine at about 6000 miles and they were shot..I would recommend replacing them on every bike,even if its brand new....

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Jim Travis said:
Here is the link to Gary who also makes them that Sideways referenced.

http://www.rattlebars.com/cart/bushings.html

These are the ones I bought, have not got them installed yet. They were $7.50 ea shipped, need two per shock. Gary has been making them for quite some time for Valkries & VTX's. I had not heard of Daryl prior to your post.

Burglar, Good post for a reminder to all of us and I have to get mine done. Thanks
Jim...
There you have it...this was first brought up here over 3.5 years ago and I bought 2 sets and installed them (the first set) back then and they are still doing just fine, the rubber ones I took off looked horrible!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Does anyone know if worn bushings can result in a squeaking while going over rough roads? I have developed a squeak which I thought was from the exhaust, but adjusted that and still get it. Checked the bushing (can only see the bottom with beetle bags on) and it loooks like it's worn. I can see that it is obviously out of round. I ordered urethane bushings, and hopefully that solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
retroxrider said:
Does anyone know if worn bushings can result in a squeaking while going over rough roads? I have developed a squeak which I thought was from the exhaust, but adjusted that and still get it. Checked the bushing (can only see the bottom with beetle bags on) and it loooks like it's worn. I can see that it is obviously out of round. I ordered urethane bushings, and hopefully that solves the problem.
you might want to check the rubber bushing on the rear tank bolt
next time you have the seat off ...

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Yeah, my stock shock bushings were pounded ugly the first time I checked them (at about 2800 miles) and I only ever ride solo and weigh 210lbs. I can imagine the condition of those things if you carry a passenger frequently. The Garys poly bushings I put in three years ago still look the same now at 30,000 miles. Can't beat 'em.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How hard are they to install?

Thanks guys for the heads-up. I just ordered mine.

How hard are they to install? Any tips or tricks that I should know?

Thanks,

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts