Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my MTC clutch about a year and a half ago, only about 4000 miles though. I followed Bare's instructions to the "t". It grabs like never before and is smooth as my lever release when I'm riding. The problem is, after the bike sits overnight the plates seem to "stick together", for lack of a better term. I have to roll the bike with the lever in and in second or third gear to get it to release. Once its broken loose its no problem. And overnight actually isn't bad, but the longer it sits between rides, the worse it is. If I don't break it loose first, my original 9 year old battery won't even turn the engine over. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem could be or how to resolve it? The bike is an 02 1800S with 32k miles.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Probably 90% do this same exact thing ..There is nothing wrong and nothing to adjust or fix. I put it in gear with the clutch engaged and rock it forward and back with motor not running and they will pop loose. And replace your battery it is way past time to replace !!

I installed my MTC clutch about a year and a half ago, only about 4000 miles though. I followed Bare's instructions to the "t". It grabs like never before and is smooth as my lever release when I'm riding. The problem is, after the bike sits overnight the plates seem to "stick together", for lack of a better term. I have to roll the bike with the lever in and in second or third gear to get it to release. Once its broken loose its no problem. And overnight actually isn't bad, but the longer it sits between rides, the worse it is. If I don't break it loose first, my original 9 year old battery won't even turn the engine over. Anybody have any ideas on what the problem could be or how to resolve it? The bike is an 02 1800S with 32k miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey JimAC, thanks for the info. I don't recall ever reading that anyone else had this problem before. Rocking it like you say is exactly what I do and it works great. As for the battery, it is a principal thing now to see just how long it will keep working. The stealer is only a mile away to get a new one, but I am amazed how long this thing keeps going. I have never used any charger or tender on it either.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I just realized i said that wrong ..LOL clutch disengaged or it will never pop loose .. Those batterys will leave you stranded at the worst time though and this bike is a beast to push

Hey JimAC, thanks for the info. I don't recall ever reading that anyone else had this problem before. Rocking it like you say is exactly what I do and it works great. As for the battery, it is a principal thing now to see just how long it will keep working. The stealer is only a mile away to get a new one, but I am amazed how long this thing keeps going. I have never used any charger or tender on it either.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Is this problem just starting or was it like that right after you installed the MTC? I just installed the MTC and don't notice anything different from the stock clutch with Barnett springs. No sticking and pops into neutral just like the stock did.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My clutch

Does the same thing , be shure to break loose in nutrell or it will lunge forward
. Only sticks when sits more than a couple days. Definitely will catch you off guard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gadget, I didn't notice it right away after installation. Probably because I couldn't stay off the bike long enough for it to happen:D. I really don't remember any particular time when it did start. I don't have any issues with it shifting into neutral or any other gears,works like stock in that regard.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
It's fine.

I just installed a new MTC and most of the time it will freeze and need to be rocked, to roll.

Not sure if those who have drilled additional weep holes have found a difference, but most everyone report that it sticks.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

I don't think of it because I almost always start in neutral... But yeah, mine stick when cold, too.

I need to replace my battery as well.... Not sure how old it is but its def. OLD! :yikes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts