Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been replacing a few parts for on my bike and noticed that the rear brake pad clip was missing so I ordered a new one but for some strange reason it is too wide and doesn't fit into the slot in the caliper bracket...... see attached pic

I guess I could hammer it into place but I suspect that will collapse the clip's little "tangs" and not allow the pad to seat properly.
It first looked like the compression tangs were just in the way but that's not the case .... the actual clip itself looks like it's too wide

Any one else come across this problem ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
64,122 Posts
It's meant to be clipped on so yes they are smaller gaps so you press them on and that holds the clips in place

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you saying that they are a pressed in fit ? as in I have to have a machine shop press them in on a hydraulic press ?
The slot is too small, that will cause the little tangs to fold and bend inward, damaging them, then the brake pad tabs won't fit.
I think the clip was made too wide.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Tap it in with a flat brass punch. The 'ears' on the brake pads should still move freely. It's not an interference fit (like a bearing race in a hub), just meant to stay put.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your putting it in upside down. I did the same thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your putting it in upside down. I did the same thing.
No I'm not... It's kinda indexed because the little angled retaining "ears" are closer to the top of the slot than to the bottom of the slot.

If you put it in upside down the the brake pads won't fit at all.
There is a slot in the clip that the brake pad ears rest on (where you put the brake grease).

Ill keep the thread posted as to how I made out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tapped it into place and as I suspected the tiny tabs are no longer at 90 deg. they are now bent inward.
Oddly the brake pad ears still fit into the slot nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I tapped it into place and as I suspected the tiny tabs are no longer at 90 deg. they are now bent inward.
Oddly the brake pad ears still fit into the slot nicely.
Sounds like 'problem solved' to me! :grin2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts