Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
If you've never been to a bike Hillclimb, add it onto your bucket list. Crazy mad skills to do that. It ain't just getting to the top, it's what do I do when I don't make it to the top? A local town near Blue Knob, Pa., Beaverdale, has at least 5 or 6 events every summer. It's on a steep natural hill next to old bony waste piles.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
A big hell yeah on what ranger wrote; if you have not seen a hillclimb in person, get out and experience it. You will not be disappointed. Walk about halfway up the hill if you can. That's where they are really feeding it the juice. Oh it's great! Cats are out to lunch!

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
A big hell yeah on what ranger wrote; if you have not seen a hillclimb in person, get out and experience it. You will not be disappointed. Walk about halfway up the hill if you can. That's where they are really feeding it the juice. Oh it's great! Cats are out to lunch!
Before he got old, fragile, one of my good buddies was on the hill crew with the safety ropes to toss to those who didn't make the top.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before he got old, fragile, one of my good buddies was on the hill crew with the safety ropes to toss to those who didn't make the top.
This post made me think about my first bike, a 50cc Sears scooter. I rode that little guy everywhere there was to ride in the Birmingham area. It was my street bike, going to Junior High (yep - got my license at age 14) on it and driving it all over town, including on the interstate (probably why they don’t license 14 year olds anymore). And it was my dirt bike, running the fire trails, mostly. And that poor little scooter did hill climbs, too. And when we didn’t make the hill, I jumped off and slid down. Usually didn’t hurt the scooter much, although snapping a brake or clutch lever (cast aluminum, they were) wasn’t unheard of. And it ran a version of trials through the woods. The muffler was under the skirt until a log yanked it off. Dang that thing was LOUD with a short straight pipe!!!

It is fair to say I abused that bike. It was great to learn on, though, giving me both riding skills and mechanic skills during the couple of years I had it. And I sold it for the $75 I paid for it, having bought my second bike, a Yamaha twin jet 100. That one went trail riding and hill climbing too, and even made the trip from Gulf Shores to Birmingham…quite a ride for a bike that size. A lot to say that I enjoyed the OP - it brought back a ton of great memories from my early days as a rider.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It would have been nice if those levers were cast aluminum, but they were probably 'pot metal'. The cheapest crap ever set loose on the mechanical world. Pure garbage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts