Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend bought a 1300. Got all excited decided take wheels off sand and polish. He took the rotor off the rear and when he put it back on somehow got one of the bolts cross threaded. It still had 1/4 inch or so to go when he realized it. He backed it out got it going straight and drove it on in. ( Using an air ratchet :shock: )

I dont think it will hold long myself. It seems tight but I have a feeling it will jar loose and fall out.

Is there any easy option to remedy that situation?? Besides b!tch slapping him for using an air ratchet :lol:

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Ugg... Best thing you can do is survey the damage and see what's left. Depending how bad he trashed it it may be irrepairable (sounds like it will be) but you can look and see. If you can't chase the threads with a tap to fix it then your only option may be drilling and adding a helicoil...

I wish I could offer more, take the air ratchet away! If you're not proficient with tools don't use tools that take the "feel" of what you're doing away. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
63,882 Posts
Yeah, it may be too late to save that hole. Can try to drill and tap for the next size if the head of the next size will fit in the recess in the rotor. Or the heli-coil is the only way. Agreed on taking the air tools away from him. :shock:
8)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm...
If this guy stripped a (8mm!!) rotor bold – he shouldn’t do this kind of wrenching. Did he use a locking agent on the bolds or a torque wrench?
I have an advise for you – it is your friend, when you guys ride together let him ride in the front, maybe he have some “stopping issues” in the future, hehehe

Serious, Heli-coils would be the first choice, but this must be applied from someone who did this before – it is a rotor bold and there is no room for BS, ok?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
myself

Id use some Duct TAPE! on his hands and tell him NO touch the TOOLS!

I almost did someting similar today. Was swapin out my chrome UGLY hex heads on my light bar for some button heads went into work they looked like 10mm......... (bad when the helpful hardware man screws himself up) they were 3/8" but not before i considered forcing the 10mm thur the light brackets :? Then i came to my senses drove back to the shop and got the right ones..... it was a close call........ been there got antzie.... it happens.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts