Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my stealership notifed me when I got my 1800C back for some work, that my right rear bolt holding my Progressive shok at the top was not all the way in and it need to be screwed back in. They said they would not touch it becuause it would not tighten wihout extreme force, apparently stripped on the female nut in the bike fender. I pulled it out and the boltk looks fine.

I guess it must have worked its way out, damaging the threads within the female receiving nut on the way out.

Questin is, should I try a re-thread with a tap? It is a 12 mm bolt, so i assume a 12 mm jtap would re-thread. :?:

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
You need to figure out what the pitch of the threads are. Take off a good one and go to a quality hardware store if you don't have a set. Take youe time and lubricate well as your threading it. This flushes out cuttings and makes for better threads.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stripped and stranded

Now I have broken off the bolt that holds the friken right rear shock absorber one (the small one that you see from the outside). I cannot figure out why this will not screw all the way in to the fender as it is susposed to, or for that matter how it got loose. Gotta be a threading issue in the fender strut hole. Anyway, I am glad I broke the little one and not the big bolt going into the fender. Should have tried re-threading before I twisted so hard.

Well, where you gonna find a cowboy thats got any since? :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts