Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just recently bought a nice vtx 1800 r but I cannot for the life of me get that damn speedo to stay working and cut that fi light out. It doesn't blink or anything, it just stays lit. There's backfiring and popping on decel.. there was a little piggy back fuel injector device thing you could adjust, that bit directly into the fuel injector wires and some main connection im not sure which, and a ground, with these little connecters that barely had any connection with the wires themselves and I thought that was shorting everything out so I took it out of there and it seemed to fix it at first but then it came right back after riding for a little bit. Even when the FI light isn't on the speedo isn't working now like wth. I've been racking my brain for days so thanks in advance guys

·
Super Moderator
64,576 Posts
Yeah, those vampire type wire taps are notorious for cutting the wires they are attached to. You will want to splice in a new section of wire onto the wires where these were attached to cut out the bad section and solder in a new piece

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, those vampire type wire taps are notorious for cutting the wires they are attached to. You will want to splice in a new section of wire onto the wires where these were attached to cut out the bad section and solder in a new piece
Yeah it smashed the wire but didn't fracture it so I wrapped electric tape around it and let it go because the bike runs fine for the most part until it starts getting into like 110 115 mph then it seem like its hitting a rev limiter while driving it... It feels like how a carb bike feels when youve either got water in it or you've used too much sea foam or octane booster in your gas and it's like skipping or sumn. It's hard to explain over text. But that's exactly what that connecter is a damn vampire.. good way of putting it lol it snags right in with metal teeth and has a plastic lock around the outside to lock it in.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Speedo not working, VSS could be the problem. Type in "VSS" in the "Search Community" at the top of page. Many VSS have died. You can test for pulses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speedo not working, VSS could be the problem. Type in "VSS" in the "Search Community" at the top of page. Many VSS have died. You can test for pulses.
Okay I will. And also I unplugged all the connections and sprayed it all down with electronic cleaner then replugged it all back up and when I took it for a ride a minute ago, everything was working just fine. But that's sort of what happened last time .. it worked for awhile then all of the sudden the light came back on and my speedo went out. It was after about ,15 min. I only went on 5 min ride a bit ago. I think something is getting knocked loose possibly what do you think?

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
VSS failure should have a MIL code.. Verify camshaft position is plugged in good. Washing dislodged one and a loose wire crimp was another problem.
Loose battery cables.. They come loose on the battery posts..Verify..
Pull out all your fuses. Another member posted some with oxidation on the fuses.
VSS info>> https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/vtx-1300-1800-vss-info-jpg.129756/
Black/Brown is +12v; Green/Black is Ground; +5v pulses on Pink/Green
I measured 68-72 pulses per rear wheel rotation.
https://www.vtxoa.com/attachments/1800-vss-ser-man-19-9-png.203792/
Page 1 of 2

The speedo/indicator unit has a connector with the P/G there. Depends on the year.. 1st Gen vs 2nd Gen changes.

Add the year/model on your avatar or on the Signature line.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine runs fine, but no speedo and kinda crappy throttle response when doing it quickly. And it pops and backfires some. Somebody told me my speed sensor needed replacing.. think that's the case? I rode it today for about 20 min with the light on solid the whole way and no speedo.. it didn't mess up or anything but when I goosed the throttle it responded like crap

·
Super Moderator
64,576 Posts
Running like crap....? Have you done the Ground Fix as seen on the How To;Step-by-Step board? Bad ground by the front coil for the ECU and these bikes run poorly

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
While doing the ground Fix, pay particular attention to the "Green/Black wire" .
It is a dedicated Ground for the VSS and Speedo.
I only remember one with that G/Bl wire broken.
You can test for +5v pulses, usually they are at 3.7 volts.
9 out of 10 times the VSS has died or is in progress.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While doing the ground Fix, pay particular attention to the "Green/Black wire" .
It is a dedicated Ground for the VSS and Speedo.
I only remember one with that G/Bl wire broken.
You can test for +5v pulses, usually they are at 3.7 volts.
9 out of 10 times the VSS has died or is in progress.
Yeah I'm sure that's my problem, I mean I've got all the symptoms. Backfiring, riding less smooth than usual and at first the speedo would work for a bit then stop, now it just doesn't do anything at all and its throttle response is crappy, etc. When I get the money for the sensor, I was also thinking about doing the desmog process as well. Heard it helps. What is a ground fix

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Running like crap....? Have you done the Ground Fix as seen on the How To;Step-by-Step board? Bad ground by the front coil for the ECU and these bikes run poorly
Yeah I took my tank off and checked all my grounds and the wires and everything i mean EVERY WORE every connector, the ones from the speedo that goes into the headlight I checked those and sprayed everything down with electronic cleaner, took my seat off and my side panels and checked every connecter and every wire at the base of the connecters and every thing seems to be in tip top shape. I even checked the speed sensor wire and it was all in check but that being said it's probably just dead . It was dying when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I took my tank off and checked all my grounds and the wires and everything i mean EVERY WORE every connector, the ones from the speedo that goes into the headlight I checked those and sprayed everything down with electronic cleaner, took my seat off and my side panels and checked every connecter and every wire at the base of the connecters and every thing seems to be in tip top shape. I even checked the speed sensor wire and it was all in check but that being said it's probably just dead . It was dying when I bought the bike.
But it runs and sounds damn good on the idle and it still drives pretty okay, it's just when you goose the throttle fast, it's response time is lagging. At regular speeds it runs fine.. just no speedo and red fi light stays lit . It doesn't flash.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have any aftermarket fuel manager??? Power commander or Cobra???
is there a jumper wire on the diagnostic connector???
Have you checked for pulses from the VSS?
You can stick a needle into the wire at the speedo or at the ECM...
I had one on there but I thought that the alligator clips were shorting things out so I took it off. This is my first fuel injected bike, I was going to take the tank off and resolder a new piece of wire in where those clips bit Into at just to be safe. Should I wire in the fuel injector adjuster thing back in when I do that or what? I have a multimeter but idk what to set it on or which holes to plug the wires into.. there's three spots I'll take a pic. Idk which setting to put it on to test the pulses. I'm going to go and jack the bike up to test here in a min I just need to know what settings to set it on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In order to test the vss, do I start the bike and put it in first to let the back wheel spin while jacked up, and if so what am I looking for on the meter? I'm almost positive it's dead

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Connect the meter, turn on Ign switch, push the X. 68- 72 pulses per 1 wheel rotation on my X.
Or like you said jack it up and put it gear. I spun it by hand to get a one wheel rotation pulse count.
Ist gear running works also.
Spec says +5 volts square wave pulses. Most measure at 3.7 volts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Connect the meter, turn on Ign switch, push the X. 68- 72 pulses per 1 wheel rotation on my X.
Or like you said jack it up and put it gear. I spun it by hand to get a one wheel rotation pulse count.
Ist gear running works also.
Spec says +5 volts square wave pulses. Most measure at 3.7 volts
What do I set the meter to, to test it. It's a dial with a bunch of different spots and when I just went out there everything kept reading zero so I'm figuring I'm doing something wrong on the meter

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
First you have to verify +12v and Ground at the VSS.
Then on 10 or 20 volt scale look for pulses on the output wire and ground wire.
Your DMM 20 volt range on left side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts