Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few friends and myself are headed west to ride the black hills and do Yellowstone, etc. We want to do at least 1 day of Sturgis while the rally is on just to get the "been there done that T-Shirt", but we have zero intention of spending the week.

The plan is to arrive in Sturgis, spend about a half day, and then move on and continue west, passing through Sturgis again on the way back east.

However, we want to minimize being screwed up in a conga line of MC's everywhere. We are all endurance riders and don't do well in the "poking along" routine.

We have three options we are considering.

1/ Leave home the week *before* the rally, skip right on through Sturgis on the Sunday (a week before it begins) and then drop back in for (while the rally is actually on) the following Friday on our way back east and eventually home. This puts us visiting the rally on Friday, the opening day.

2/ Leave home the Saturday the rally officially opens, ride >1300m on day 1 (we are planning 2 bun-burner gold iron butts each way, we all love endurance riding) which puts us in Sturgis just after lunch on the Sunday of the official opening weekend of the rally. Then we leave Sturgis on the Monday to do our black hills / Yellowstone touring. We pass through Sturgis again on the Friday of the rally.

3/ Leave home on the Friday (leading into the final weekend of the rally) which again, with our planned iron butts, will have us in Sturgis after lunch on the Saturday, the second last day of the rally. Leave Sturgis Sunday for our black hills / Yellowstone touring. We will pass through Sturgis again on our way back but it'll be a week after the rally is done.

So basically, the week before, during, or after.

Our goals are to actually be in Sturgis during a reasonably "normal" day (hence why we don't want to arrive on the very last day (Sunday) as I figure things will be fizzling out by that point. The final Saturday I figure will still be more lively.

on the flipside, we want to minimize being stuff in mile long lines of bikes in the black hills, which is why we are contemplating the 1 week before or 1 week after routine.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The week before has all of the vendors, less traffic and none of the big concerts. Riding Custer Park, Iron Mountain, Needles Hwy, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc will be easier. If you ride down Main Street during the rally later in the day, you will have some delays. The opening day is really busy because you have the people that went early and haven’t left as well as the one getting there for the official rally dates. You will have an easier time finding a place to stay before. It is a beautiful part of the country and worth a ride through at least once.

The Thursday or Friday of the rally will still offer the full experience, but people will already be rolling out of town on their way back home.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have been there just before by car. Many people are arriving but not insane. I would still make early reservations if staying near there. Keystone is not a bad place.

I have been there right at the beginning. I camped at a crappy so called campground at Belle Fourche. I was on my way home from Yellowstone and the Little Bighorn (working on my IBA National Parks tour. I did not realize it was Sturgi week. After I realized it I said, Oh sh.. as I just wanted to ride the Black Hills and get a stamp at Mt. Rushmore.

I am like Private Pilot, I am an LD rider and don't like the party BS. I followed my plan to start early and of riding all of the above mentioned roads. There was very few riders out on the roads. I was shocked. Well, I decided before leaving the area I would buzz through Sturgis. The place was full of motorcycles of course. I grabbed a gear and headed west to New Castle, WY for the night.

I figured the reason not many were out on the roads, they were either at the bars or hung over.

I'll never intentionally go during Sturgis week. But if I were to go I would do as Curt E and prkuehn said. Go early.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
PrivatePilot,
You going to Jacksonville in March? I plan to be there. This will be my 4th attempt. Each time I have signed up something has come up. One time I was 200 miles from home and thought I had a serious mechanical problem. Turned out a minor issue that I could have fixed it in the parking lot of the 7-11.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx all, I am leaning towards heading out the week before Sturgis at this point then, which would put us through town the weekend before the rally even officially opens, continuing west to do the hills, Yellowstone, etc. We'd then pass back through Sturgis again on the following Friday to spend about a half day in town - that will be the "rally day" for us, and then we turn and burn east again.

Here's the full trip as planned at this point:

And the western loop taking 5 days to slowly enjoy the scenery in the hills, do Yellowstone, etc.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Western loop looks fantastic. If you are going to stay near or in Yellowstone make reservations now. Camping can even be tight.

It appears as though you are going through Chi Town. I would avoid Chicago. Traffic is terrible. Been there done that.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
my opinion,

enjoy your visit......

motorcycles are not welcome..

outside of the weeks before or after the big money maker..

not in the towns anyway.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
my opinion,

enjoy your visit......

motorcycles are not welcome..

outside of the weeks before or after the big money maker..

not in the towns anyway.

Did you have something happen that caused this opinion? I’ve had several friends that have vacationed in the black hills outside of rally time because they don’t like the crowds, don’t care about concerts, and it is much less expensive. None of them felt they weren’t welcome in town.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Did you have something happen that caused this opinion? I’ve had several friends that have vacationed in the black hills outside of rally time because they don’t like the crowds, don’t care about concerts, and it is much less expensive. None of them felt they weren’t welcome in town.

Yes,,, Bob and I on Goldwings... stopped in Sturgis... for food at a food store..
the police came.. told us to move our bikes to the end of town and WALK back to the store..

so we rode to another town for food.

FACT.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yes,,, Bob and I on Goldwings... stopped in Sturgis... for food at a food store..
the police came.. told us to move our bikes to the end of town and WALK back to the store..

so we rode to another town for food.

FACT.

I wasn’t doubting your statement. It just wasn’t what I had heard from others. Unfortunately it sounds like the officer transferred what his bad day was to you and your buddy.

I would have ridden off and spent no money as well.

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Since your map shows you going through Cody, Wyoming make sure you stop at the Buffalo Bill Museum and plan on at least a 1/2 day there, if you haven't done it already.

Great suggestion. That is an incredible place to visit. It has the largest firearms collection I have ever seen. The rest of the museum is pretty impressive as well.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
WOW, so much to see and do in the area.
I was there in July and it was awesome.
Motorcycles everywhere....
Sturgis isnt much except at Rally time.
Wall Drugs in Wall & the Badlands. Deadwood & Cemetery. Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Keystone, Custer, Rapid City. Tunnels road (cant recall name, State park and $20 to ride through it!!!).
Devils Tower (WY) Little big horn (MT). Yellowstone Park (amazing), Cody is cool also...
While near Keystone etc, if you get a chance.
Palmer gulch Stables has a chuck wagon dinner ride that is totally awesome (Horseback or Wagon ride out to chuck wagon location..
I missed it as it was closed on my last night there. Still kicking myself for missing it (think its closed on Mondays??)......
So much to see & do, so little time. Was part of my Bucket List....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Your western loop will be a good appetizer for future trips.

That is one area of the country I can go back to again and again and again.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
I wasn’t doubting your statement. It just wasn’t what I had heard from others. Unfortunately it sounds like the officer transferred what his bad day was to you and your buddy.

I would have ridden off and spent no money as well.
Years ago, 2 friends and I, clean-cut, wearing shorts, sneakers, and Tshirts, rode to the Virginia Beach KOA to meet some girls we knew were there for the weekend. It was implied we were an undesirable element simply because we rode up on slightly modified CB450, CB 750, and a chopped 650 Triumph. Fortunately, all things change, including anal law enforcement people and policies.

·
Super Moderator
63,687 Posts
T-shirts will be there for the entire year, week after they will be cheaper. I was there the week before and did all my riding with very little traffic and no trailer queen riders going from bar to bar weaving all over the roads.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I lived 6 miles north of Black Hill Harley Davidson out in the country for 2 years. Just one thing, skip the rally when it is going on. If you are coming from Ontario ride (stay) up north, do Banff, Lake Louise, etc., head south to Glacier National Park, then down to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. The start heading east (home) hit Sturgis the Monday after the rally. Everybody is gone including the vendors. Really nothing to see in Sturgis, unless you are into skin from people who should not be showing any skin at all. The roads in the Black Hills will be empty. Most of the vacationers will be gone because most schools start the end of August so the place is pretty empty and the road will be all yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm with leroy's73. Do option one--go early AND avoid Chicago--completely including the Chicago Metro region which now stretches from Gary Indiana to Milwaukee Wisconsin and ~90 miles west to Rockford IL. Besides, there is nothing enticing about your route around the south end of Lake Michigan. Traffic is frequently heavy and, like most large population centers, folks drive as if they're in a competition event at a track! I quit riding when I lived there in the NW suburbs after my last near miss where I was forced to confront the reality that my days were numbered if I persisted.

It appears from your map that you're either entering or departing the US at Sarnia. Not sure which leg on the map is inbound or outbound but consider rerouting from Sarnia to Luddington on the west coast of Michigan and hopping on the SS Badger ferry. It's an historic ship and a four hour ride across to Manitowoc Wisconsin. It's a great ride from there to get you back to I 90 westbound. May well be a net travel time saver for you and certainly less risk. Besides, in conjunction with your LD ride experience it will be another unique memory among all the others you'll accumulate along the way. --My Two

Here's a link to find out more: http://www.ssbadger.com/schedule-fares/specialty-vehicles.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts