Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I sent a question out about new pipes for my 1300R, and I appreciate your response. But now I have another question. :oops:

I realize there are different type of pipes for a bike and call me "stupid" if you like, but I was talking to a bike mechanic today and he was telling me about the different kind of pipes I could purchase for my bike.

From what I have seen on this site, BUB's must be the best? Are they expensive? I have also seen or heard about Vance-Hynes?

The suggestions that you have told me are listen to other bikes, there is You-tube that I can listen to different pipes but the internet may not do justice for the correct sound of the pipes.

The answer to my question my be to just listen to the different sounds and the looks of the pipes, then I can decide. I guess I'm just looking for some expert adivce from you.

I didn't think I would want to spend the money for new pipes, but a couple of weeks ago, we had a Christmas parade in our town. There were different bikes in the parade. We each has gifts to give to the residence of our local nursing home. This was such a touching moment to see how these folks welcomed us into their home.
Anyway, I still have the original pipes on my bike and I couild not hear my bike running. Neeless to say, I was a little embarrased because my bike was too quiet.:oops::oops:

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Ride Safe,

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
U really need to get out and look at other bikes like yours. Listen to them, Look at them. Get an idea of what U want to accomplish. Performance, Looks, ect... If U don't have other bikes similar to your around your town, then its tough and can be expensive to get what U really want..

I can tell U all day to get what I like, BUT thats what I like and may not be your liking..

Good Luck in your search..

G

·
Vance and Hines, Bubs, and Cobra are all great pipes. I like Vance and Hines but, that's me. The pipes are a big part of the look. So with any of them you can't go wrong if you like it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yeah, what Kevin said.

I like two into two pipes, straight looking, preferably all the way to at LEAST the mid of the rear tire. Others like the long cannons, others like the shorty "dragster" pipes and yet others like the two into one.

Then most of these can have the tone and even volume tweaked by different baffles.

If you can't get out to see other's bikes, perhaps you need to decide on the look you want first, then you can do research on the volume and tone. Just make sure the ones you buy have removable baffles so you can change them out if you want.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pipes

Thank you for your responses. I greatly appreciate them.:bowdown:

Zym, I will call you this weekend or during the week. I am home for the next week so this will give me a lot of time to look arouind.

Again, Thank you everyone.:thumbup:

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yeah, what Kevin said.

I like two into two pipes, straight looking, preferably all the way to at LEAST the mid of the rear tire. Others like the long cannons, others like the shorty "dragster" pipes and yet others like the two into one.

Then most of these can have the tone and even volume tweaked by different baffles.

If you can't get out to see other's bikes, perhaps you need to decide on the look you want first, then you can do research on the volume and tone. Just make sure the ones you buy have removable baffles so you can change them out if you want.

I agree with Haughton. Decide on a look and make sure it has removable baffles. You can adjust the tone with different baffles. Any pipe you choose will sound much deeper than the OEM pipe. You almost can't loose. I did the U-tube thing for about a month before I bought my Roadburner 3" drags. I couldn't tell much from those videos. I can say that I'm really happy with my pipes. I changed to quieter baffles after I ran them with the stock baffles for a couple weeks. They look and sound much better than stock.

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Sound is very subjective. What I may like, you may hate. Now you've spent $500 or more on a system that you can't stand the sound of. I've heard this many times over the years on this board.
"I just purchased an exhaust from recommendations from this board and they sound horrible. What do I do now?"
Best thing to do is find your state board from this list; http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=75
Then find out when & where fellow VTXOA members are getting together and go introduce yourself and have a listen. 8)

Come to Colorado Ride In this July and have a listen

·
Registered
808 Posts
Here is my 2 cents...for what it is worth.. I am normal working guy.... I kept a good eye here and had some loud in my blood. I live in a town that there are not many motorcycles at all. So I just thought...money is tight. I will buy what I see cheap... I found a set of 3" hardchromes here for $200. They come to the end of my bike have just the look I like. They are loud. I am looking at getting different baffles. I will keep trying different baffles until i find what really sounds good to me. But I can live with them for the money just the way they sound. I am gonna look into the micheals and monster baffles. I am taking opinions on different baffles and places to get them if anyone has any ideas for me there. Thx

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Out of all my vtx 1800 bikes the 3inch staggerd Hardchromes sound best

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Picking pipes is as tough as picking a bike.

Another way, and this worked for me, is to wait until the season is closer, when lots of bikes are in for service. Then just show up at your dealer and nicely ask if they will start up some customer bikes for you to hear. It is going to help if you are going to order the pipes from them.

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
U really need to get out and look at other bikes like yours. Listen to them, Look at them. Get an idea of what U want to accomplish. Performance, Looks, ect... If U don't have other bikes similar to your around your town, then its tough and can be expensive to get what U really want..

I can tell U all day to get what I like, BUT thats what I like and may not be your liking..

Good Luck in your search..

To say it again..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts