Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,209 Posts
Yeah it does, it's a powerhouse. I almost bought one before I bought the VTX but it had a lot of miles on the clock, and they were asking for too much IMO so I never got it. Honestly I like the looks of the VTX better though.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
it is a Hot Rod, for sure.. a bit strange looking for me.

that is what is nice about my old job.... I could ride almost anything I wanted,, given a little time.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not an old mans bike, that's for sure. That extra 100 lbs starts making a difference. Lots of options, accessories for it, still making the model in 2020.. I agree VTX looks better.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Look good in the right paint job but I am still yet to hear one that sounds even passable. Many aftermarket systems out there but none that sound good. Whatever floats your boat though. Enjoy

·
Old Goat
24,853 Posts
Nice ride....but “OH” to be a young man again...with joints that actually still work......good luck

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I so miss my Honda CBR1000F...... track days at Mid-Ohio sports car course ....
I do NOT FOLD like that anymore.. reason I sold it.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
I just noticed the other day, a childhood friend and one of the neighborhood Krazies on motorcycles, who for the past few years has had a Vmax, and before that a Kaw turbo 1000, is now riding a Spyder. The evolution of riding.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me clarify:

I have no intention of buying a M109. The opportunity to ride one came about yesterday and I didn't hesitate.

The younger fella (when you've reached the age where everybody is ' younger ' what do you do with that?) that lives 4 houses down from me bought one at the end of last year. Talking with him he said that it had an issue that he would like to get my opinion on. That day came yesterday. Mostly sunny and temps in high 70s or low 80s ...why not?.

The shorter stroke of the bigger pistons was readily noticeable during throttle roll-ons. It was smooth all the way from the bottom to the top. I'm not out to compare the M109 to the VTX1800 in any way. I enjoy my VTX for being what it is and I always have. 'I' can feel the pulses of the big V-Twin when I roll the throttle on the VTX and I like that. I couldn't feel the pulses of the M109... it just shits and gits...it is smooth. The bike I rode is completely stock...no intake mods....no exhaust mods...no power commander blah blah.

'A' (the young fella) rode my VTX behind me. On straight-a-ways he became a small speck in the rear-view. In curves...he became bigger. The M109 I rode had no corner clearancing to speak of. Maybe I should be ashamed to admit that I ground off that younger man's peg bolts...but hey...I'm old...and that's my story. The 240 rear tire did require more handlebar input to stay a line...but it's all good.

The whole time I rode the bike I did imagine the things that I would do to it if I actually did own one. Being bent in half like a sandwich (feet on pegs and hands on grips) was not comfortable. A different handlebar configuration and different peg locations were high on the list. I did notice that the triangulated gusset that houses the swingarm pivot would be an excellent place for additional pegs to be mounted when riding in a sporting nature. A different handlebar bend would also be in order. With my physical problems a windshield would be a must also (from 80 to 140mph). I would definitely need to 'higher' the bike to get some corner clearancing that I would want.

But anyway, I'm not comparing my VTX to the M109...I just like riding a bike no matter the brand or model. I enjoy each for what it is.

'A',who rode my bike, said that he wished he had ridden it before putting his money down on the M109 (whatever that means).

John

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I just noticed the other day, a childhood friend and one of the neighborhood Krazies on motorcycles, who for the past few years has had a Vmax, and before that a Kaw turbo 1000, is now riding a Spyder. The evolution of riding.
What are the odds?
I have a good friend who has an M109R and a Vmax before that and a ridiculous stretched Kawi turbo 1000 before that. Always had two of the three.

His M109 would absolutely walk over my 1800, not even close, but they aren't remotely the same bike. The M109 is more comparable to the HD V-Rod and it not a cruiser at all. The VTX1800 is a power cruiser/torque monster and you might think similar in C or F form but my R is 100 pounds heavier than the stock M, plus my 4 piece Ultimate seat set and fairing/stereo and hard bags and ....me:sneaky:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have two M109Rs and two VTXs. They are different as night and day. The M10Rs fit me better because I have long legs and long arms. The M109Rs are quicker and faster. But they have to be downshifted to accelerate at lower speeds, where the VTXs will pull hard and strong. To bad the VTXs have such a low redline. The M109Rs redline at 7,500 RPM. Cruising at 80 MPH, the M109Rs are much smoother. I have modified the stock exhaust on the M109Rs and they both sound like ATVs on steroids. There are some aftermarket exhausts that sound pretty good on the M109Rs, but none compare to a VTX with an aftermarket exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts