Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
Quick question. Do I have to pull the whole swingarm assembly to swap the final drive. Or can I get away with just pulling the axle and drive bolts. Is there enough room to get it off that way?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nope...don't have to take the swingarm off. AFter getting the bike up in the air, put a jack under the rear tire to support it, remove the shocks and brake components. Once that's all free, slowly lower the wheel to let it come out from udner your fender, then pull the final drive off WITH the wheel. Should come straight back after removing the wheel spacer from the brake caliper side. Swap final drives and slap it back together. Easy breesy. No offense at all to anyone, but taking the swing arm off is completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Caps said:
Hmmm.. so you guys have a 240 wheel then? I tried it 3 times and could not get the drive to come back and out without hitting the wheel. I might have to try a different technique.
Yes. I have a 240 wheel. If you loosen all of the brake components up, like you are removing the rear wheel, you can get enough play in it with the drive bolts un done and the brake components un done to remove the drive. The wheel will be able to be pushed to the right side of the swing arm by a good inch or so once you take the wheel spacer out between the brake caliper mounting brackett and the wheel bearing. This will let you remove the drive with the wheel still sitting on the floor jack. Easy Breesy. Just be careful not to scratch the chrome. :D

·
Xtreme Member
4,850 Posts
chargedstang89 said:
Caps said:
Hmmm.. so you guys have a 240 wheel then? I tried it 3 times and could not get the drive to come back and out without hitting the wheel. I might have to try a different technique.
Yes. I have a 240 wheel. If you loosen all of the brake components up, like you are removing the rear wheel, you can get enough play in it with the drive bolts un done and the brake components un done to remove the drive. The wheel will be able to be pushed to the right side of the swing arm by a good inch or so once you take the wheel spacer out between the brake caliper mounting brackett and the wheel bearing. This will let you remove the drive with the wheel still sitting on the floor jack. Easy Breesy. Just be careful not to scratch the chrome. :D

Ok, we'll sorry Lancerator for giving you bad information. Actually I might try pulling it this weekend if I have a chance so I can do some other things. I'll let you know either way how it worked out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Should work for you. I have the same xchoppers fender you do and it works. Just make sure the bike is in the air on a bike jack or pepsx stand, and that you have a floor jack under the rear wheel. Then let the wheel down once you get the shocks off so it comes out from under the fender a little more and you have some room to move it. Also keep an eye on the swingarm on the right side to make sure it doesn't hit your exhaust.

Another little tip is to break the rear axle bolt loose after you remove the shocks. That way, you can actually jack the rear wheel up first, and clear your pipes (if you can't get to the axle nut because of them at ride height)

8)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone I didnt see everyones responses for some reason Im not getting emails on this thread.
Im swapping mine next week so Ill let ya know if it works for me!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts