Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been well discussed before. But I want to toss this out just to make sure. I have a 2003 Retro/S with spoke rims and I want to swap for alloys. It is my understanding that the 16" rear rim from a "C" will install on the rear of a Retro/S as long as I have the matching brake rotor that originally came with the "C" rim ?. . . . . I also have been led to believe that whichever front rim I install, the front rotors are all interchangeable. THANKS.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Buddy ! !

Hey Spike, You sure seem to know your "stuff". You are truly among the "Illuminati" when it it cones to VTX info. Thanks for the helping hand. Rocco P.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One More Thought

OK guys. One more question..... What are the fitment / clearance issues when you put an alloy "C" fromt rim on a Retro/S ? The C rim is taller and I think less wide. I only want to use a standard width (150) front tire. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
63,725 Posts
The C wheel/tire height works out to be less high than the R wheel/tire height.
C;
130/70-18
130 x 0.70 = 91
91 x 0.03937 = 3.58
3.6 + 18 + 3.6 = 25.2 inches tall

R;
150/80-17
150 x 0.80 = 120
120 x 0.03937 = 4.72
4.7 + 17 + 4.7 = 26.4 inches tall

·
Registered
214 Posts
You might want to contact Junior Bailey on this board. He just changed from alloys to spoked, and is going to be selling his alloys. He has the R model.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One More Last Question !

I now know what I don't know (what question to ask) ! Can you put a 150 tire on the "C" rim and safely mount it on a Retro/S ? What are the tire choices for 150/70 x 18 ?

·
Super Moderator
63,725 Posts
I don't remember seeing that size, and I don't think I would mount that fat tire on the skinny C rim.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Although the 130/70 x 18 inch front tire on the C model is
not as wide as the 150/80 x 17 inch front tire on the R model,
and we often refer to it as "skinny",
it is still wider than the 5.00 x 16 and 5.10 x16 inch tires
that we considered wide in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Sounds to me like TitaniumXer wants to put a rear tire
on the front of his bike.
If he really wants to put a wider tire on the front of his bike
he should be looking at the R model 17 inch front rim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes Here is the parts pages with part numbers and you can see they are the same part numbers;
S front wheel;
http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/showVie ... 1800S|2003

R front cast wheel; same rotors
http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/showVie ... 1800R|2003

C front wheel: different rotors
http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/showVie ... 1800C|2003
I have an ignorant question for you. I have an 05 VTX 1800 f with an 18in rear wheel. Is there any way to swap this out with a 15 or 16 inch rear wheel

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
I have an ignorant question for you. I have an 05 VTX 1800 f with an 18in rear wheel. Is there any way to swap this out with a 15 or 16 inch rear wheel
This is a 15 year old thread, nothing wrong with that, but you might get more looks and answers if you start your own current thread.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes, but why? Your wheels are highly sought after wheels... If you aren't a fan of the look, you could always cover them up with some hard saddlebags...

·
Super Moderator
63,725 Posts
Yes, any 1800 wheel will fit any 1800 model. There is 1 catch on the spoked wheels, which is the only 15 inch rim on the VTX, you will also need to buy the rear wheel rotor as the 15 inch wheel has a smaller diameter hub where the rotor mounts

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
I realize I’m duplicating the answers from above, but I’m going to add context to be sure we are on the same page.

1. Yes, your 18” F rim will swap about directly with a 16” rim from any standard VTX 1800. (C, R, N, T). If the replacement rim comes with brake rotor and/or drive flange, it will bolt right up. If drive flange plate or brake rotor don’t come with the replacement rim, they can be swapped off of your F rim.

2. If you want spokes in a VTX factory wheel, then you are looking for a 15” rim from an S model. This rim will also fit your F model, but the brake rotors do not interchange. The rotor bolt pattern on the 15” rim is smaller, and thus you would need an “S model-specific rotor” for the spiked rim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts