Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil and filter in my 04 1800S. The book said it shoud take 3.7 qts but it took 4 qts to get the stick up to right level. After my first ride there was oil on the rear tire - not on the rim, just on the tire. Could this be a symptom of having put in too much oil - is there some sort of over fill outlet that could let excess oil go to the rear tire?

Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
No - but it might be a symptom of a loose oil filter or leaving the old filter gasket behind.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Good you didn't dump it with that oil on the tire. As said. check the drain plugs and make sure there are crush washers. Also make sure the filter only has one gasket and you have not over tightened it. You should be able to see where the oil is coming from. 4 qts is spot on. Don't worry about the 3.9. Dump in 4 with the filter change and go.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
OMG!! He didn't put in a half ounce too much, did he? It's gonna explode! Sorry, this just kills me.

·
Super Moderator
64,052 Posts
No, your oil level is fine. I have changed more than a few VTXs oil for the first time and they have had overfilled by 1 qt and one bike had almost 6 qts in it. These bikes were running fine and not leaking any oil. As others have said, you should check your oil filter and plugs. If you had your airbox off at the same time you may want to check your shifter shaft seal. If you pinched the crankcase vent tube when you put the airbox back on you can pinch the vent and the shifter seal will pop out from the pressure

·
Registered
371 Posts
my first thought... is that the old gasket from the filter he removed stayed behind, and that's what's causing the problem

·
Registered
662 Posts
Crush washers

Crush Washers , Crush Washers I'll say it again CRUSH WASHERS. Have seen it twice pissing small drops of oil because new crush washes where not installed. Oh yeah and also one that was stripped out and needed to be re-bored and taped 1mm larger. CRUSH WASHERS 2 of them , and 1 on the rear end as well!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Two gaskets

my first thought... is that the old gasket from the filter he removed stayed behind, and that's what's causing the problem
:agree: Thast's where I'd look first!! My son did this last year on his Suzuki & lost the motor over it. Didn't leak after changing & checking for drips, but he went on up the road & was crusing at 65mph when it built some pressure & let go & by the time he saw the idiot light it was too late!!! Bummer Always make sure the old gasket comes off the motor!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the insight -- I did reconfirm the old filter washer came off and that the plugs were tight.. But I did not install new crush washers, so that could be the culprit.

Remember - good judgement comes from experience and experience comes form bad judgement....

Pat

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It it leaking from the drain bolts while it sits ?
Dont forget to inspect the other place that was mentioned . The seal on the shifter shaft that goes inside the case has a seal . If there is any restriction of the crankcase vent the seal will come out of its bore and leak oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts