Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aVTX1800 with 7700 miles and i want to switch to synthetic. Do I need to do anything special to make that switch?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I've used Mobil 4T Racing 10W-40, and Mobil M108. 2 years +.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Well now...lol. Opinions wanted...lol. I would say I use motorcycle oil, I like synthetic because I can run it for 7-8000 miles. Some use rotellas t-6, but no car energy conserving stuff. We have wet clutches. Any synthetic motorcycle oil is good, JASO certified. Personally I run Mobil 1 10-40 and Purolator filter, not pure one though. They dont make bad oils, just do the maintenance. IMHO

·
Registered
135 Posts
Make certain the oil you select is compatible with a wet clutch. Automotive oils are harmful to wet clutches. The Delo type oils are mostly compatible with wet clutches. Do some research on the types of oil compatible with your bike before you wind up changing more than just your oil.
Don

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
Car oils are FINE in any bike as long as you stay with 10-40 or 15-40 or 20-50. Any oils that have the term "ENERGY CONSERVING" in the API donut stamp on the back are thin weight oils like 5-20, 0-20 and those you should not use and will cause your clutch pack to slip

·
Registered
734 Posts
For oil I use Rotella T-6. Been using it since the first oil change on the bike when I got it. No problems and I already have it as I'm using the same oil in my Duramax.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
For oil I use Rotella T-6. Been using it since the first oil change on the bike when I got it. No problems and I already have it as I'm using the same oil in my Duramax.
I second the Rotella T6 and also use he Bosch 3300 filter. Oil si around $20 at wally world and the filter is $6.99 at Autozone.

·
Super Moderator
63,566 Posts
Honda recommends 8,000 miles per change on natural oil. No need to change it at 3k any more. That's a very, very old ad campaign coined way back when oils came in single weight like 30w and had no additives. These days, oils have detergents added to clean and additives to make it much more effective and last much much longer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Motul 5100 or 7100 series oil in the proper weight of 10w-40 or 10-30 depending upon area and climate. I always used OEM Honda filters but have just recently installed a bosch filter that is alot bigger (can't remeber the part#) and works perfect. But like others have stated as long as u run a jasmo certified oil or as close to API G oil you will be just fine. Just stay away from energy conserving and extremely thin weights like 0w and some 5w.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Changed my 1800T over to synthetic last year. Mobil 1 10W40 and a Fram filter. Opinions vary, but most of the name brand filters are fine and will protect the engine. I'm sold on synthetic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I switched from amsoil to royal purple 10w40 about 1000 miles ago and noticed that the engine seems to be a little noisier and they clutch definitely slips WAY more then it used to while running through the gears. With that said, I would recommend staying away from royal purple, but that's just my opinion. On a side note, I used to run Rotella T-6 in my 05 cbr when I had it and loved it!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Changed my 1800T over to synthetic last year. Mobil 1 10W40 and a Fram filter. Opinions vary, but most of the name brand filters are fine and will protect the engine. I'm sold on synthetic.
I tend to stay away from FRAM as far as I can . Too many recalls , blown engines and other horror stories due to manufacturers defects . My X is my pride and joy , my trusty steed and I'm not taking any chances . Rotella T-6 and long Bosch 3323 filter for me . Filter is on the expensive side , but it's top of the line - for the peace of mind :wink2:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Rotella T-6 oil in everything I own, along with factory filters. Honda Filter on the VTX, motorcraft filter in the F150, etc...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Switching to synthetic is a good move. Here's a list of filters. I use either the Honda OEM filter, or if I don't have one, I go to NAPA and get the 1358 Gold. I used Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel oil for a long time and recently switch to Mobil 1 15w-50. Like Rotella T6, the M1TD is 5w-40 - just a tad thin when cold.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use Mobil 1 15W50 in the summer and Rotella T6 5W40 in the winter. As for filters, I have used Wix, Honda, Fram, Purolator or anything else that will fit. I really like the Purolator as they are only about 3.50 and work as well as anything. I have never gone 8K on an oil change. I normally change oil and filter (and crush washers) at 5 to 6K. And I always change gear oil with Mobil 1 85W90 in the rear when I change the engine oil. It's less than 4.5 ounces of gear oil and about another 5 minutes to change it. And don't forget to clean the magnet at the end of the drain plug.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts