Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dudes. I started using Mobil1 Redcap earlier this year. The only place you save money is because you're not paying someone to do a little one hour chore for you. You also get to inspect the bottom of your bike and wipe it clean while you're down there.
I take my used oil to my local auto parts store where they accept it.
Mobil stopped shipping the Red Cap and introduced oils all with gold caps.
Took me a bit to figure out which one to use so to help here's some pics of the new gold cap container.

I also use the Mobil 1 oil filter, it's a little longer than a stock filter so I hand tighten it. I think torquing these filters down to spec is to much anyway. Here's some pics of the filter box.

I'm not endorsing Mobil to anyone just wanted to show what it looks like for someone thinkin' about it. I'm not taking it to 15000m either. Thanks to NCBrews input I'll be changing around 4-5 thousand.
BTW Clayton Dude,,, read your post where you were impressed that after you changed over to synthetic that your ride started up and maintained a slow idle without any throttle. Mine did that the last time and again this time. Odometer on my 2004 reads 20320. OK Then.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER
:tools1:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey RobT,

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of switching to Mobil 1 also. Do you know what the temp range is for this oil? I'm in Colorado and will ride when it is 28 degrees or above, just unsure if the 15 will be too thick for me when it gets cold....any thoughts?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like AMSOIL myself.. bike shifts smoother, better gas mileage and they have been doing synthetic for 33 years .. they not an upstart like other oil companies (in this area) and its 100% , not a blend ( a company can call their oil Synthetic if there is at least 1% synthetic oil) but it is still a blend.

So if you are going with Synthetic go with the one that's time proven.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
It's Amsoil for me. switched about 2 weeks ago, and right away, better shifts, smoother idle, quiter motor... :D

·
Registered
819 Posts
mobil makes a full synthetic - and blends - the gold cap is full syn....

hey Vman....syn is great for cold.....doesn't get all thick like dino oil.

·
Registered
409 Posts
MOBIL 1

I also use mobil 1 red cap and I feel it`s about the best oil (synthetic) around. I have used it for years on all my vehicles. I got 250,000 miles out of my last chevy and it ran as good as any new car. I have 145,000 miles on my car now, haven`t even tuned it and it still runs like new. I use purolator PURE ONE filters. Top notch. Mobil 1 also makes a synthetic V-TWIN motor oil also. I`m sure other oils are fine but I stick with what works for me.

M

·
0 Posts
I picked up two 6-bottle mini cases of the original Mobil 1 Red Cap at a local Pep Boys two weeks ago. They hadn't sold out yet. They were just starting to stock the new replacement oil. Haven't been able to locate the Mobil 1 oil filters though so I'm still using OEM filters. Wanted to have some to carry along on my US trip this summer.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr X said:
I picked up two 6-bottle mini cases of the original Mobil 1 Red Cap at a local Pep Boys two weeks ago. They hadn't sold out yet. They were just starting to stock the new replacement oil. Haven't been able to locate the Mobil 1 oil filters though so I'm still using OEM filters. Wanted to have some to carry along on my US trip this summer.
Mr X Dude. It's been far to long since I said 'Hi' to you. And us being damn near neighbors to,,, Anyways I'm pickin' up the Mobil oil filters at AutoZone. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke ... ewHomePage Use M1 110 for your search.
Stay Cool.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER
:tools1:

·
Registered
550 Posts
milbear said:
I like AMSOIL myself.. bike shifts smoother, better gas mileage and they have been doing synthetic for 33 years .. they not an upstart like other oil companies (in this area)
I wouldn't exactly call Mobil an "Upstart". The label says Fully Synthentic. If they're lying, prove it and take them to court for false advertising. Might get enough cash to pay for your bike.

I'm sure Amsoil is a fine product. If I could walk into a store and buy it, that's probably what would be in my bike right now. I'm just not into this multi-level marketing thing.

Been there, done that. I used to be a dealer for the "Original Slick 50" back in the 1980's before the inventor had a falling out with Petrolon (the distributor). He gave them the rights to the name which subsequently got bought up by one of the major oil companies. The forumulation of today's Slick 50 bares no resemblence to the original product and in fact, may damage your engine. The original formula invented by John Bishop is still around under the moniker "XcelPlus". Contrary to what the name/marketing would have you believe, there was virtually no PTFE, ie PolyTetraFlouroEthylene (Teflon) in the original formula. That was simply a marketing gimmick dreamed up by the boys at Petrolon and it worked to boost sales. The original was/is an awesome product and has been tested by independant labs, universities, the military, and testing agencies like Underwriter's Laboratories where their claims were verified. It's one of the few engine treatments which hasn't been hauled up before the FTC for unsubstantiated advertising claims. The current Slick 50, Duralube, ProLong, and Z-Max have all be fined and forced to change their marketing claims.

Although I've definitely seen an improvement in my VTX by switching to synthetic, it is nowhere near as dramatic a difference as I saw in my trusty old '82 450 Nighthawk when I treated it. My son now owns that bike and it still runs superbly and shifts like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Never had any clutch issues and it is still a 1 finger pull to disengage the clutch. I'm still conducting an extended drain interval test on that stuff in my SnowBlower. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this as it constitutes neglect but the oil has NOT been changed in that machine since 1981 when I added the original Slick 50 to it. Still smells like oil and the snowblower starts on the 2nd pull every winter. The oil level is always up so I figure, why bother changing it now. Either it did something positive or else Briggs and Stratton makes one awesome 8 hp engine.

I doubt I'll have the guts to try a stunt like that with the Mobil 1 in my VTX.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Clayton Root said:
I'm sure Amsoil is a fine product. If I could walk into a store and buy it, that's probably what would be in my bike right now. I'm just not into this multi-level marketing thing.
Amen!

I use Mobile1. It's a great product, and when changed at sane intervals, it will protect your engine as well, or better than most products. And I can walk into a store, and buy it when I need it. I just don't see the point of "shipping" stuff around, just for bragging rights.

JMHO-YMMV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts